Sealing wood in my DIY stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it safe to use Thompsons clear multisurface water sealer? I called them and they said yes, but the can says exterior only and I don't want an odor in the house or in the tank.

Has anyone used it?

If Thompson's is not appropriate, what have you used successfully?

I wouldn't think that it would harm your fish, so long as it doesn't get into the water. Post a picture when your done so we can see your work.

Most water resistant finishes will be made for outdoor use. And all of them will stink if you do it inside. I'm waiting to build my cabinets til the spring so I can finish them outside. I've tried inside and it's just not good. The smell stays around forever. Even after finishing they will still smell for a while until they completely cure.

Steve

I plan to apply it outside and store in the garage till it cures. I have a whole week till it goes in its final place. I planned to do the application today.

So you're saying that after the cure period, you don't think I should notice an odor?

How long are you thinking it takes to cure fully?

It really depends on how much you apply in coats, the humidity or dryness of the air in your area. Some finishes will take longer. Thompsons is used mostly for decks so it's usually outside.

When building mine I plan on using the water resistant finishes by minwax. A little more expensive but a much better finish. I think it will hold up better than Thompsons. I believe it's called Spar Urethane.

Steve

I'm not concerned with finish. This is a stand for a built in wall unit, so it will be covered by a decorative face. Do you think the Thompson's will serve my purpose of just protecting the wood closest to the sump or should I consider alternatives?

What you also have to consider is condensation contamination. When the sump water evaporates and condenses on the surfaces inside the stand, if it drips back into the sump, it could pick up unwanted chemicals used in the water treatment and pollute your water with it. If you have some sort of air circulation inside the sump to pull the excess moisture outside the stand then it shouldn't be an issue.

On the inside of my stand, I used liquid acrylic to coat all surfaces that would be directly above the sump to prevent the contamination.

You could coat it with silicone. Just use the same stuff you would use to reseal a tank, and smear it on. It won't look very good but it will do the trick and you won't have to worry about contaminants. It is also really cheap and lasts forever.

The product I used was called Polycrylic from Minwax. It is water based and dries pretty quick. The fumes aren't too bad either. You can find it at Lowes or home depot.

I just used it in spots where condensation could drip back in the sump, but you could do the whole stand interior with it. One can goes a long way.

What if I just added an acrylic top to the sump? Then the condensation would accumulate on the top and fall back into the tank

Adding a top will work just fine. In fact, adding a top will also slow your evaporation rate down so you don't need to refill as often.

The completed stand: 2x4 frame, backer board tub on bottom, 5 power strips on top back, hanging refugium light

completedtank.jpg

The electrical wires run down the legs and into the "cord box" out of sight

standelectric.jpg

The stand placed in my office. Note the panel sitting on the floor that will block the view of the outlet.

standpanel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom