Second attempt at a first marine tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it 4.5 feet? looks alot like mine, and i think mine is 38". Looks super high tec and awesome though.... Lol there are still some sweet fish you can add.
F
O
X
F
A
C
E :)

Thanks nu nu. You do love the foxfaces lol, ill go measure it after dinner

well i'll stick a kole in instead of a purple, the puffer can stay, i'll go for a wrasse that eats worms, i may risk a trigger or i may go for a foxface or lion fish, and i'll go with the flame angel or cherub

Triggers needing a 6' tank isn't only about aggression. It's also about the swimming space required. For most range, a 6' tank is required because they swim a lot, and IME, triggers swim a lot more than tangs, get just as big, are messier eaters, and are more aggressive. So I would seriously not get the trigger. You'll be fine with a dwarf lion, kole, dwarf angel, and other smallish fish. And the fox. Just make sure you can keep params in check because thats a messy load.

i see where you're coming from but what difference is a 4.5 ft thats wider and deeper? i mean the difference is 1.5 ft when they're actually used to millions of gallons in the ocean?

yeah but there isn't any swimming space in a 6ft really when the fish has just been nabbed out of acres of water

The difference is 1.5 feet, which is actually a lot. It's adding 1/3 of your tank length. Yeah, 1.5 feet compared to trillions of gallons isn't a lot, but if you look at it as 1/3 of your tank, it becomes a big number. People who own adult triggers usually always recommend at least 6'. I have a baby and he zooms across the tank every single second. If you want to do what's right for the fish, just don't get a trigger. And if one day you want it to go mad and kill $500 of livestock, go ahead. It could take months, or even years. But it most likely will happen. If you want to argue with advice that you asked for, don't ask in the first place or maybe an advice forum isn't really for you.

IMO fish like Tangs and Triggers will do better with a 6' footprint. That being said, I also don't think that it's the end of the world if they are in less (within reason) when they are smaller. Especially if a site like LA says a 70g is okay. They get larger and you can rehome them or get a larger tank.

With Triggers, there is always the chance that you get one that is going to go nuts one day and start attacking everything. That could happen in a larger tank too. It depends on what your comfort level is with that possibility. It sounds like the OP was not 100% set on Triggers, so I'd suggest something else. There are many other really cool fish out there.

Chill your beans crister, you're making it sound like I'm not taking the advice. There will be no trigger i was just wondering why the 1.5 made a difference when you're catching it out the ocean. The list isn't concrete just the fish i would've liked. And anyway its a discussion forum and if you don't fancy the discussion then i'm sure i'll be able to curl up tonight and go sleep. Thanks for all the advice guys, ill pop some more pictures up of the sump and overflow build soon

Lol chill my beans..... Haha. I thought you were arguing to get a trigger. Sorry for the misunderstanding lol.

No mate im just trying to understand why footprint is that important. Just learning as much as possible before i get wet

Some fish like to cruise the reef. That means going for longer distances and more straight. Other fish are homebodies and just hang out in 1 area.
EXPERIENCE from reef keepers over time has shown that for these roaming fish there is a certain size tank they need to cruise in. For these tangs 6 feet has found to be suitable. Less has caused stress.
For the homebodies like clowns, total area is what's more important.
As our more experienced members point out , keeping a tang in a smaller tank is playing Russian roulette. Eventually you'll loose.

+1. From experience I think triggers too... That's great that you're not just diving in and rushing. Thas the #1 mistake.

Back
Top Bottom