Second tetra to go pale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
About 1.5 to 2 weeks ago I had an ornate tetra that lost his color on and off for a week then finally passed from I'm assuming the stress of repeated power outages, I now have a lemon tetra that went from yellow to silver yesterday but has his color back today, he is also getting bullied by the other tetras if he tries to school with them, all parameters are perfect, no ammonia, no nitrite, pH 7.4 tds 158, nitrate 25, phosphate 1.1 I'm thinking there's a bug going on in my tank, fish dont have symptoms except the one that gets bullied he really don't have an interest in eating, I was thinking about going heavy on the schooling of them To see if that may help as they always hide but I don't want to do that right now with losing one a few weeks ago maybe closer to a month, and ideas what's going on these fish aren't old

I do not see any issues just do a water change and if there is no effect then add a couple of tetras.

I do not see any issues just do a water change and if there is no effect then add a couple of tetras.
I'm maticulous with the tank, I do 50% weekly, I do have one issue right now where I can't add fish as one of my rainbows has gill flukes so I'm treating for that, I think they came in on one of the plants, I was told a while ago to up my school's to 8-10 to make them more comfortable I just haven't had the money to do so.

Perhaps even do less water changes even though it sounds counter productive. Do say 25 percent weekly and if they look better then cut it down to 25 percent every two weeks sometimes it isn't beneficial to do too many water changes because it kills all beneficial bacteria

Perhaps even do less water changes even though it sounds counter productive. Do say 25 percent weekly and if they look better then cut it down to 25 percent every two weeks sometimes it isn't beneficial to do too many water changes because it kills all beneficial bacteria
I'm doing EI dosing in the tank so I can't get away without doing one every week (actually 9 days) my nitrates are 40 by the end of the week, TDS is still very good at 158 but I don't like my nitrates being above 30, and I only dose 3 ppm no3 from Thrive at 2 pumps a week

About 1.5 to 2 weeks ago I had an ornate tetra that lost his color on and off for a week then finally passed from I'm assuming the stress of repeated power outages, I now have a lemon tetra that went from yellow to silver yesterday but has his color back today, he is also getting bullied by the other tetras if he tries to school with them, all parameters are perfect, no ammonia, no nitrite, pH 7.4 tds 158, nitrate 25, phosphate 1.1 I'm thinking there's a bug going on in my tank, fish dont have symptoms except the one that gets bullied he really don't have an interest in eating, I was thinking about going heavy on the schooling of them To see if that may help as they always hide but I don't want to do that right now with losing one a few weeks ago maybe closer to a month, and ideas what's going on these fish aren't old
I have to say first of all that gill flukes are a rather dangerous parasite and usually almost unable to be detected with the naked eye. I usually find them by looking at a gill dissection, but not everyone can do that, but also look for fin clamping as a symptom. They get into the tank via plants, snails, and other fish. A lot of people are ready to argue with this retired Chemist, even though I've also been an aquarium hobbyist for 30 years...but l am going to recommend a medication called Praziquantes. It is sold by Hikari under the brand name PraziPro. It will kill the gill flukes and many other types of dangerous parasites. It is also safe for snails, invertebrates, shrimp, plants, and of course fish. As far as nitrate problems, nitrates are plant food. Get yourself about 8 to 10 cuttings of the houseplant Pothos, also known as devil's ivy and stick in towards the back of the tank where ever you can find spots in the lid to stick about 4 inches of the leafless stems in the water of 8 inch cuttings. They look beautiful growing at the top of tank, but more importantly, they grow roots and suck up your nitrates quickly and efficiently. Good luck.

I have to say first of all that gill flukes are a rather dangerous parasite and usually almost unable to be detected with the naked eye. I usually find them by looking at a gill dissection, but not everyone can do that, but also look for fin clamping as a symptom. They get into the tank via plants, snails, and other fish. A lot of people are ready to argue with this retired Chemist, even though I've also been an aquarium hobbyist for 30 years...but l am going to recommend a medication called Praziquantes. It is sold by Hikari under the brand name PraziPro. It will kill the gill flukes and many other types of dangerous parasites. It is also safe for snails, invertebrates, shrimp, plants, and of course fish. As far as nitrate problems, nitrates are plant food. Get yourself about 8 to 10 cuttings of the houseplant Pothos, also known as devil's ivy and stick in towards the back of the tank where ever you can find spots in the lid to stick about 4 inches of the leafless stems in the water of 8 inch cuttings. They look beautiful growing at the top of tank, but more importantly, they grow roots and suck up your nitrates quickly and efficiently. Good luck.
I have already ordered Prazipro by Hikari it arrives tomorrow, my rainbow has a gill that is stuck open by what looks to Be egg sacks I added pictures in my other thread about what's on my rainbows gill. But I'll add them here also. Noooooo https://imgur.com/a/kVWIE

How big of a water change should I do before I add the prazi, it's a 55 gallon. I was told 50% by a lfs, I always do 50% weekly so I'm assuming 50%

I have already ordered Prazipro by Hikari it arrives tomorrow, my rainbow has a gill that is stuck open by what looks to Be egg sacks I added pictures in my other thread about what's on my rainbows gill. But I'll add them here also. Noooooo https://imgur.com/a/kVWIE

How big of a water change should I do before I add the prazi, it's a 55 gallon. I was told 50% by a lfs, I always do 50% weekly so I'm assuming 50%
The amount of water you're changing is fine. I'm glad you've ordered the PraziPro. As I mentioned before, I like both it's effectiveness and it's safety the tank residents. I wish you the best. And make sure you complete the treatment before adding more fish. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom