Second time fighting ICH has been way worse, I guess I am asking for help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mdumanski01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
29 gallon planted
5- black neon tetras (one died yesterday)
4- juli Cory catfish
1-pleco
1- nerite snail
2- ghost shrimp
1- blue ram (one died)

Introduced two blue rams to the tank after not quarantining enough I guess. Two days after they had been in there they started to show signs of ich. I treated it before with just heat and no salt. I tried the same technique however when it happened it was also 4 degrees outside and it was hard to heat my house let alone the tank. For the first two days I couldn't get my tank over 84 degrees. I went to the pet store and got a better and larger heater. It took about another day to get up to 87 degrees which is where it's been for about 4-5 days. The tetras caught ich from the rams and one has died. No other fish seem to be affected. Here is the where I have questions. The tetras have lost 99% of their white spots and look like they are healthy. However one of the tetras died last night and another one today looks like he's about to die. He looks like he got a wound of some sort over night. While 99% of the white sports fell off of the tetras( who didn't get it until after the ram,) the ram still has yet to lose any of the white spots. That is my first question.. Why isn't she losing the spots but the tetras are???

I forgot one thing... After 5 days of seeing no real improvement I decided to dose the recommended salt. There are now about 4 tablespoons of salt that i dissolved into tank water and added over two days. My tank is only filled about 23-24 gallons I'm guessing.

This is totally different than the ich I caught over a year ago. It went away easily with heated water. This time it is getting better but the ram still looks bad and that makes me curious why ? Is it because she is larger? More susceptible?

It's now been 6-7 days of the ram showing significant white spots without any signs of improvement. The tetras showed signs for a total of about 4-5 days and now are 99% better. The water has been in the high 80s for a week and Parameters and perfect with ph at 6.9-7.0, and ammonia is zero.

I thought with the heated water their first life cycle would be no more than 4-5 days

I've heard of a worse strain of ich that doesn't get effected in negative ways by heat.

You salt dosage is too low IMO. I would suggest 2-3 tablespoons per 5g

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The last 2 times I treated for ich it took me a while because I had a golden weather loach at the time. But I didn't mess around. I raised the water temp to slowly to 88 degrees, removed my carbon. Then added 1/2 doses of Kodon Rid-Ich Plus every day (because of my loach). I waited 12 hours, performed a WC then medicated again. You need to medicate 3-4 days after the last signs are seen. Then do a large WC add carbon back in. Just because I was paranoid I waited a week to start to decrease the temp to normal.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom