Secondary tank for filtration....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyJBBPJMT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I've got a 75 gal and a 55 gal. I've been seeing filtration systems that are simply another tank that sits beneath the larger tank. I've tried a little looking online to find more about them but not much luck as to what I'm looking for. So....
How do they work?
What are the components required?
How much will each size filter?
How many gal/hr pump is required?
What type of filtration media?
Can I run two tanks off of one filter tank?
What are the pros/cons to this system?
How much maintenance is required?

Ok, I've got a 75 gal and a 55 gal. I've been seeing filtration systems that are simply another tank that sits beneath the larger tank. I've tried a little looking online to find more about them but not much luck as to what I'm looking for. So....
How do they work?

This is called a refugium if I'm not mistaken. Its mainly for saltwater tanks with live corals. It grows pods and other things to keep the aquarium more natural water. I'm not into saltwater so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You could probably do it freshwater and put a to of plants in it.. But I wouldn't know ..

You could probably do it freshwater and put a to of plants in it.. But I wouldn't know ..

I looked into doing one to supply my plants with nutrients but couldn't think of a way to get a steady supply of them with out having to add the nutrients every week. It would be awesome if someone figured it out.

Definately for freshwater too. Its like making a giant canister filter inside an extra fish tank. You see fish stores running a bunch of tanks off the same one. Having an overflow on your main tank helps so you dont have to match intake and outake flows, you get whatever flow the pump you put in can produce and the same amount is simply gravity fed back to the filter. It doesnt have the same benefits as with salt water tanks because you cant really make a self sustaining freshwater tank. Its a chance to not be limited to a cannisters flow and holds more media. You can also put your heater in it so you dont have a heater in your tank. Big benefit is airation. It supplies huge oxygen content to the water. Thats about the extent of my knowledge of the system. ALOT easier to clean and maintain too.

How do they work?

This is a refugium as others have stated. If I had he know how I would love to have one.
Basically you drain water from the top to tje bottom tank and return with a pump (thats the part I dont know how to do) while it is in the lower tank though it is filtered through biomedia, mechanical media, chemical media (if desired) and for lack of better term natural media. The natural media being plants.
This kind of filter actually reduces nitrates!
I think the ultimate setup would be: water drains into the lower tank and is moved from one side to the other. The natural media would be wisteria, javamoss, and duckweed (all low maintenance plants that just need a light but suck lots of nutrients) the java moss and wisteria would also be a form of mechanical media. Fill the lower tank with red cherry shrimp to eat debri. Then the water passes through the biomedia. From there it goes through a mechanical stage and then back up into the tank!

Sorry to hijack the thread for a second but can some body explain the difference between this and a sump? I thought a refugium was a possible "part" to a sump, which was the actual filtration part..

I've been thinking of doing this in the future when I upgrade tanks, and looked around for info on it too, with the same results as you

Components required i think has been covered, however I don't think anyone has mentioned an overflow. Like I said I haven't been able to find a lot of info either, so hopefully someone with more knowledge can help. Also how you'll get the water out you'd have to decide. By that I mean you can either drill the tank and have your outflow through there, or use HOB pipes.

Depends how much flow you get. Which probably depends on the size of the outflow from your tank.

Someone else already covered this pretty well. Anything that would typically be in your normal filter - filter wool, ceramic rings/substrate, bio balls, activated carbon/Purigen etc for mechanical/biological filtration. Then in the refugium part, plants and shrimp take away detritus and nitrates. The plants suggested were good suggestions. Anything fast growing is a good idea, there's a few threads around on plant choice for this purpose.

Yes, as said before many fish stores use this method. But it's a little bit of a different set up i think. And you'll want to hope neither tank gets a disease or both tanks are shot.

Pros:
- Filtration!
- Increased water volume = more stable water params
- Refugium can be a grow out tank for small fish or plants (many people use it for plants before they sell them to their LFS)
- Can hide your equipment - eg heater can be placed in here
- High oxygenation

Cons:
- Fair bit of startup effort
- Ensure set up will allow for power outages otherwise all 55gal will end up on the floor
- I've heard it can be noisy from some people, so make your design accordingly (quiet pumps, minimum splashing, hood if possible)
- Can take up more space than a canister
- Many regard it as unnecessary for FW but I think it's a fun thing to be able to experiment with and a good learning experience if you ever wanted to go salty

I believe if there is nothing living in the filter besides bb it is a sump. If it has plants that makes it a refugium I think....
Also some bamboo shrimp could help filter the water.

It is called a sump. A Refugium is used to grow stuff (pods/macroalgae) and don't involve freshwater. How ever you can have non aquatic plants or semi aquatic plants with only the roots in the sump to take out nitrates

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom