Sediment in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rank amateur

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have noticed recently that there is some sediment appearing in the bottom of my sump. Should I be trying to clean this out or is it beneficial? If I should be cleaning what is the best method?

Cheers

I have the same issue in my first chamber. I am interested to see what others say.

I clean it out with a small pump and tube and only about once a month. Your overflow/skimmer is doing its job if you see sediment in your sump.

Yes it's certainly the sump you would want to see sediment however too much of it won't be beneficial in the long term.

Depending on the size of the sump you can siphon it out into a bucket or as mention use a small pump to suck it out. I usually clean out the first and second section of my sump once every couple of months.

I do everything with a turkey baster. I feed the fish with one, clean the sump, dose cal, alk and mg...lol They should come with your tank imo...

I have a aqueon pro flex with 2 filter socks but it still builds up but the socks filter a lot of stuff!

Back
Top Bottom