See if I got this right (coralife skimmer pics) ((new pics))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
skimmer002bl9.jpg

skimmer003kz3.jpg

As you can see I started getting some brown stuff right away...not real suprising as i have a small,but recurring brown algea problem.I did have running too fast at first and I collected what you see in about 15 minutes.I slowed it a little and think I have found good pace for now.

The problem is more about the second pic.I followed the instructions to a T,so I guess thats how its supposed to look....the problem is it looks terrible.Not very easy on the eyes at all.I suppose what I discibing is the need for a sump lol.

Also the the way its configured the water return is just above the pump intake..seems like if they were farther a part it would work better...maybe not.

Over all I'm happy with it so far.I fit under the canopy and is very quiet.

Anyone see any issues...as in is it good to go or should I do something different?

Cut the tube that connects the pump to the skimmer. The instruction does say to leave it about 8in but in reality, the shorter the better. The pump should be 1 or 2 inches under the water surface

raise that pump like FishFrik said...it will work better.also I have the same skimmer and this is what I did to mine to get the bubble diffuser away from the pump so I could raise it up. also if you look at the pump muffler as I call it you will see another air tube, I hooked an air pump to it and it quadrupled the amount of bubbles in there.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Reefbound it looks like your just hard plumbed the discharge to the other side if the tank.I like that idea and I suppose I will have to do that if I want to raise the pump...other wise it won't fit...or at least it won't fit well.

Mine is the 125.It looks like the pvc would be 3/4 ''...is that right?

SCFatz said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Reefbound it looks like your just hard plumbed the discharge to the other side if the tank.I like that idea and I suppose I will have to do that if I want to raise the pump...other wise it won't fit...or at least it won't fit well.

Mine is the 125.It looks like the pvc would be 3/4 ''...is that right?

No its 1 inch with 1" elbows.... and its NOT glued in place so you can remove for cleaning. Its a very snug fit so no glue needed and it doesnt leak.

edit: also Ive noticed even less bubbles in the tank since this mod... :D

Cool...I'll going to head out in a minute and pick some up.Thanks for the post and the pic.

One new concern is now I have a little stream of little bubbles coming out of the pump itself....out of the lower front "corner".
To be expected?

SCFatz said:
Cool...I'll going to head out in a minute and pick some up.Thanks for the post and the pic.

One new concern is now I have a little stream of little bubbles coming out of the pump itself....out of the lower front "corner".
To be expected?

If your talking about the impeller cover that should stop after a while ,mine did, I guess the rubber seal around there needs time. The pipe I picked up was Grey shedule 40...almost a perfect color match...

If your talking about the impeller cover that should stop after a while ,mine did, I guess the rubber seal around there needs time

Good to know.Thanks.

I just picked up three feet of one inch and a few elbows.I'll post a pic as well when I wrap it all up.

EDIT!

Finished!!Much better look too.Here are a few shots of the top.

skimmer005rd1.jpg

skimmer007tm1.jpg

There is also one of the whole tank,but the tank and camera do not get a long so thats the best I can do....But the pump is far left,the return is far right.

skimmer009do6.jpg

Thanks again reefbound for the pics and the posts...Aquarium Advice in action I tell ya!!From question to completion for three bucks and another hour or so...gotta love it.

Glad you like it. I was going to move my bubble trap to the other side also like you did but I have an Emporer 400 that Im in the process of removing that on that side. I have one other tip for you...from you last pic I see some bubbles flowing out of your bubble trap what I did to stop them was replace the included sponges with a sponge from a Magdrive pump and cut to fit and now I have 0 bubbles in my tank. The only thing is I have to clean the sponge weekly to keep it flowing good.

First let me add That I love this thing...way cool stuff collected in the cup.I'm quite suprised as well as pleased.Glad I researched it for as long as I did...I would imagine there are better ones out there,but it aint easy.Doing great so far....helping with the "brownage"in a big way.

Reef bound...would you say the repacement material is more or less corse/porous?If its more so (harder,more holes) I may have something here that will work already.

Also What about a box for true skimming?Can they be bought?The thing is doing great suspended,but the surface is not involved at all....perhaps one can be built to insure the pumps supply is from the top....but in this case it would have to be a big one to house the pump as its not a wee thing.

SCFatz said:
Reef bound...would you say the repacement material is more or less corse/porous?If its more so (harder,more holes) I may have something here that will work already.

The replacment has more smaller holes to break up the fine bubbles.

Also What about a box for true skimming?Can they be bought?The thing is doing great suspended,but the surface is not involved at all....perhaps one can be built to insure the pumps supply is from the top....but in this case it would have to be a big one to house the pump as its not a wee thing.

Buy? why buy when you can DIY, I guess you can build an acrylic box with some routed teeth and enclose the pump so the water overflow into the pump area.
If I was to do this I would use the smoked acrylic so you couldnt see the pump. It really wouldnt be that large, would be longer than wider.and to attach it to the tank you could use some silicone to hold it in place or figure a way to incorporate the adjuster from the bubble diffuser so you can adjust the hight of the "skimmer box"

Great thread.
Just got mine after replacing the hunk o junk seaclone which the salesman at Petsmart warned me against buying.
I just love the idea of extending the discharge tube. Never thought of that.

As is, the whole thing while working ain't pretty.

A couple of questions.

1.) Why is it better to have the skimmer pump nearer the surface?

2.) Where you have plumbed in the extra air pump, I actually did the opposite because it was spouting water when I was running the skimmer with the admittedly godawful looking bubble trap. How would adding air there quadruple your bubbles?

Jeff

PS I know this is a bit of an ignorant question, but how dangerous are the negible amount of bubbles shown in the above pictures. I can't seem to get less than that. Before I used the trap (as it seemed to backwash out the nubbin on the exhaus--it took me a while to figure out the airline trick) I killed a Brittle Star that I had for years. Disgusting eater. Would puke everything up before every meal. I liked him though. We called him Patrick. Jeff

I just got the same skimmer as we are talking about here, quick question. I can not get the water level where the bubbles start to form in the main chamber to drop below the cone. The lowest I can get it is at the top of the cone. Anyway, what can I do to lower the water level in the main chamber? The red button is turned down to the lowest level and the pump valve is closed to the point if I lower it any more bubbles stop forming. TIA......

Bump...looks like I missed a question or two I may have been able to help with....sry bout that,I'd imagine they have been answered elsewhere by now.

Squado, make sure your output hose isn't too deep in the bubble box - if you block the flow in there at all, it'll force water higher towards the collection cup and kill the ability to get good skimmate. Try removing your bubble box entirely, and see if you can get a good setting. Then add it back. You might have to trim the hose that drops into the bubble box, I did at first.

I don't even use a bubble box anymore - but I'm using mine in a sump. No bubble problem at all.

I finally got it to get a minimal amount of bubbles. There is still some from the overflow comming from the bubble diffuser. Are bubbles actually bad for a reef or are they just unsightly. TIA.....

Back
Top Bottom