"Seeding" a new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is a week enough to seed a my new filter? I have a small aged filter running in the same tank. Also the new filter has 14 ceramic media pieces with bacteria and a 1in by 1in piece of foam caked with bacteria.

I'd go longer if you can, at least 2 weeks, preferably 3-4. Although I'm not sure how much time is the minimum. If you take it out early and use it on a new tank I'd stock that tank slowly and test the water daily and be ready to do pwc if you see any toxin issues.

Can i take out the small aged filter out yet? I will keep the ceramic and bacteria sponge in for a few more weeks. Should i add a bio starter to boost it?

I wouldn't do the booster. Many people have had a negative effect using them. I would leave the filter running for about a month to grow bacteria and then move it over and add fish slowly.

Im using the filter in my convict fry tank so its running right now with the fry. Im still running the old lil whisper with it because of all the bacteria on it.

TigerBarbs said:
Can i take out the small aged filter out yet? I will keep the ceramic and bacteria sponge in for a few more weeks. Should i add a bio starter to boost it?

I changed out my filters and did not keep any of the old filter media. The day I changed my filters out I began to use microbacter 7. It is the best this in the world. Because of it I have the clearest water ever. I highly recommend it

Back
Top Bottom