Seeding a second tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PilotGav

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an established 30 gallon tank, and just purchased a new 10 gallon tank. Both tanks are using HOB filters.

I'm running the new filter beside the old filter on the 30 gallon tank. How long should I keep the new filter on the 30 gallon in order to be sure it's fully seeded?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. That is what I did on my new tank, along w some gravel. Worked like a charm!

It just hit me – I have a 2.5 gallon tank that's fully cycled, which will go out of commission.

If I move the filter media from the 2.5 gallon into the 10 gallon filter – will that severely shorten the cycle time? It can stay in there permanently.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes it will. What was in the 2.5g and what going in the 10g? The 10g could be instantly cycled for a small bio load.

Two African Dwarf Frogs. I'll be moving them to the ten, and then adding either a Betta, or a small school of hearty fish.

What you can do is move the frogs and their filter media to the 10 at the same time. Keep an eye on params for a week or two then if everything's sweet add the betta.

Back
Top Bottom