Seeding from a plant aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love_MyFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it ok to seed from a plant aquarium? My LFS game me a bag of gravel from there tank containing plants and a few fish, mostly plants. :confused: Also can i safely do PWC and not mess my cycle up? If so what %? My ammonia was 8 my API master test kit showed. I did a 50% sill showed 8 :confused:. Will ammonia loch funk up my reading? Tank has been set up for about a month.

You can seed from a planted aquarium, but If you are using the gravel to seed the , its not going to give much bacteria.

You can do a PWC as long as you dont vacuum the gravel, It could possibly mess up the cycle.

even though there were fish in it as well? Will it hurt if i use api clear tank to clear up water or will that mess thing up?

You can change as much of the water as you like. If you have fish in there, do at least 50% up to twice a day until the ammonia reading goes down to .25 . The fish won't survive long with ammonia readings higher than that. You might also try dosing prime to help nuetralize the ammonia for the health of the fish .

Get rid of the ammonia lock.

No, just follow the instructions and don't forget to redose the prime after those water changes.

I wouldnt use any clarifiers to make the water less cloudy. A lot of those "clarifiers" clump the particles together. Unfortunately, they also clump up on the fishes' gills, and make it hard for them to breathe.

With doing the 2 PWC's a day to get the ammonia down, it should also help with the cloudy water.

I wouldnt use any clarifiers to make the water less cloudy. A lot of those "clarifiers" clump the particles together. Unfortunately, they also clump up on the fishes' gills, and make it hard for them to breathe.

With doing the 2 PWC's a day to get the ammonia down, it should also help with the cloudy water.
ok PWC completed, two last night and 1 today. Results (PH) 7.6< (HRPH) 7.4 (AM) 4 (nitrates) 0 (Nitrites) 0. When will I start seeing nitrates?

Once the ammonia goes down, the nitrites come up. Once up, the will start going down, thats when the nitrates start kicking in and going up.

Ammonia

Once the ammonia goes down, the nitrites come up. Once up, the will start going down, thats when the nitrates start kicking in and going up.

Ok, 2nd PWC completed. Ammonia down to <4.0 but not 2.0 on my api master kit. Why isnt it going down by 1/2 everytime? Please help, i love my fishy friends but i feel my tank is unjust to then and I should send the to heaven till i get it right.

What % of water did you change, sometimes it depends on how much you change will effect the ammonia.

Agree with Ty on the water clarity stuff... the only chemical you ever really need (unless treating an illness) is prime. The water will clear up naturally. It is common to have cloudy water in a new tank.

Using chemicals can sometimes work temporarily, but can cause other problems and side effects... and the main reason to not use them: It doesn't attack the underlying cause of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom