Seeding new media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Krabs

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm trying to get a new filter setup by seeding some ceramic bio rings with the water from my fully established 40-gallon breeder. About how long would you say it would take before the new bio rings in the new filter become mature enough to use in a new tank?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've heard a few weeks for new media placed immediately after old media in a filter. I can't say for media just in the same tank, but probably much longer as there isn't a lot of BBs in the water column. Can they be put in the old filter or have some of the old filter media in both the old and new filter with the new media on top?

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

My current main filter is packed to the brim with Biological media. =/

I have too many fish in the main tank, so I'm currently in the process of trying to sell them as quick as I can.

Pull out half your current media, suspend it in your tank and replace with new media. Leave for two weeks, add new media to new tank, repeat.

Or if you can run both filters at the same time on one tank do that.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pull out half your current media, suspend it in your tank and replace with new media. Leave for two weeks, add new media to new tank, repeat.

Or if you can run both filters at the same time on one tank do that.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 I agree completely

I'm currently running both filters at the same time in the same tank.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom