Seeding Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm setting up a 30gal long tank for a pleco of mine to give him more room, and I've heard that seeding is the best way to set up a new tank, so I put a three-month old filter sponge from my 16gal tall that's been established for about 5 years in the new tank filter.
...Now what? :???: How long should it take before the bacteria is established in the tank? Should I add ammonia? When would it be safe to add the fish? I'm also expecting a shipment of 25 mixed plants on Tuesday. Will the plants affect the seeding process or vice versa?
Also, I was wondering what other fish would be good in the tank. I plan on transferring 10 tetras from the 16gal.
Thanks for any help!

If you add a filter pad with nitrifying bacteria on it then this bacteria will require an ammonia source to continue thriving and reproducing. I would put the pleco in now. You will need to monitor the ammonia/nitirite levels and if they start to rise then do partial water changes. This should not have to be done too often with just the pleco in there. and the ammonia levels should no where approach any critical levels. Once the new plants come in they will likely have bacteria on them as well and will also utilize waste in the tank. I would wait a few weeks before adding the tetras. I think a point that so many people lose sight of is that "cycling" is a continuous process that never ends. There is no such thing as a tank that has "finished cycling" and is now ready to be fully stocked. Bunk. The amount of bacteria oxidizing ammonia will only match the amount of ammonia being produced. What this means is that you can get a tank to a certain stocked level, everything looks good, and then add new fish. And there will be a period of time when the bacteria will need to catch up with the new load.

In your case, the filter has bacteria colonized on it. The colony of bacteria will become smaller and smaller with no fish. Or no source of ammonia for all of those fishless enthusiasts. Bacteria will not fully colonize your tank until there is ammonia being produced. Put the fish in, monitor the water.

Bill

Thanks for all the helpful information, Bill :grin:
I'll go ahead and add the Pleco and monitor the water. I'm guessing if the levels remain stable with the Pleco in there for a few weeks, I can add a few more fish?

If you see any detectable ammonia or nitrite at all, then it is safe to add a couple more fish as soon as both are zero again. If both stay at zero, I'd wait about a week before adding something new. The smaller the pleco is, the longer I would wait, since in the larger tank it might just take a while to build up a noticable level.

What I would do myself is add clear ammonia in quantities appropriate for fishless cycling, and then once you know the water is good you can transfer all the fish at once. I think you'd get the whole move done sooner that way. I just seeded a canister filter with about 1/4 of the filter pad from a 5 gallon tank with a HOB and 4 small fish, and it's cycled a 55 gallon tank in about a week.

If you're putting 25 plants in a 30 gallon tank they may be able to handle the ammonia output of all those fish by themselves, provided they have adequate light.

though with the plants it might take them a few days even a week or so to establish their self and start growing. personally i would do the plants first make sure they are alive and not dying before adding the pleco. some plants when shipped die off a lot before starting to grow thats just more dead mater to build up ammonia. not saying the others are wrong just what i would do.

what kind of pleco and whats all in the 18 gallon?

Agreed. I definitely didn't mean to imply that I would just throw the plants and fish in at the same time. Plant nutrient uptake can be tested the same way as the filter though. Add plants, add some ammonia, test the next day and see if they were able to keep up.

i didnt read it that way. was just adding the little part about the chance of die off and taking time to establish their self.

I don't know what kind of Pleco he is, but here's a picture of him. He's about 6" now. And In the 16gal with him are about 10 pristella tetras and a couple guppies, with artificial and live plants.

Attachments

• 5.11 031.jpg
    5.11 031.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 57
I've got the same problem, although my tank is only 10G. He is about 6". There is a 55G tank cycling right now to hold him, it should only be another week before he is moved. Local fish store (LFS) is not ALWAYS a better bet than a chain :)

Didn't start out at this size, and thought he was only growing to 2-3", but that is another story. My guess is a Leopard Pleco which grow to about 12"

Pat

Sorry, Sailfin Pleco I believe is more accurate name, although I am sure people here with more experience than I will chime in :) with the right answer. Whatever the name, I have one and it is way too big for the tank. Lets hope the cycle on the 55G turns over quick!

Yes, sailfin aka Gibbiceps pleco. These guys can grow to be monsters with proper care... around 18 inches or more eventually. A 30 gallon won't provide them much room for long.

wow, 18"? Hopefully I can get a bigger tank before he gets that big. The 30 should hold him for a couple years at least, right?

Back
Top Bottom