Seen something wierd today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
While at a lfs, I seen some rams that were listed as ram/gold angel crosses. Well, my curiosity got the best of me. I just knew there was no way they are talking about actually crossing an angelfish with a ram. So, I asked. And sure enough, the girl there said that's what they are. They had two tanks of them and the one tank with the normal blue crosses looked like ballon mollies with a ram pattern. While the other tank with the gold crosses looked like rams just they were a solid yellow color. She said they were breeding them to get the ballon look. :? So, rams and angels can reproduce. I told her any off spring would be sterile then right? She just looked at me like I had bubbles floating out my ears. I knew I had lost her then. Who'd a thought. I'm still shaking my head wondering why? They aren't even attractive like that. I really wish I'd have had my camera with me to show you all pics.

Ok, after some searching online, I'm finding now that this isn't a new thing. I've seen post about them from two years ago. But, it's a first for me. They are calling them balloon rams, butterfly rams, long finned rams and a multitude of other names. :?

Yes, i have heard of it, Persoanlly i do not like that kind of interbreeding fish. I like plain angels and plain rams.

JMHO

Hybrids are very detrimental to aquaria and the fish :evil: :!:
We as responsible fishkeepers should look upon the intentional breeding of hybrids for profit with the same disdain as we do dyed & painted fish :!:

My personal thoughts on hybrids are pretty well known. I am a bit skeptical that someone managed to hybridise Microgeophagus and Pterophyllum....crosses between genera are fairly rare.

Well, I couldn't find much info on them and most was in other forums. One saying they are actually breeding them. Is that even possible? I mean, the idea of an angel and a ram crossing seems impossible to me but to be able to breed the offspring and actually be successful seems even more impossible. I also read on one forum that they are actually genetic defects that instead of culling, they are reproducing. I'm not sure about anything where these fish are concerned. Only that the store had them labeled and ram/angel crosses. Anyone in the Winchester VA area can go have a look. They are at the Winchester Aquarium Center. They look like normal rams with short round bodies. I suppose some may find that cute, I just found it disturbing and sad. :( I don't know how the store would feel about me taking pictures but if I get the time (the store isn't local) I'll see about getting some pics.

I don't see any harm in it either (although I don't know anything about angels or rams) that's how the goldfish with all it's varieties was created. Not by crossbreeding, but by culling out the attractive deformations and breeding them.

Golden retriever x with a lab is a dog and dog.... same species. This is like crossing marble angel with black lace angels.... not a hybridisation at all.

The hybridisation is more like crossing a dog with a fox and getting something hideous and deforned.

Gold fish are just gold fish too. Each type is like a different breed... keeping with the dog analogy.... chiuahua, Irish Wolf Hound, pug...... all dogs. The different morphologies are due to genetic mutations and variations.

Back
Top Bottom