self sustaining tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats why the tank cycled to take care of the ammo, then turned into nitrate. Plants will absorb both ammo and nitrate. Becuase there bio load is small it will be a endless cycle. The poop will also break down into phosphate will will be use in the photo process of the plant. So water change would not be needed

What about the nitrites that can't be removed by the plants, the fish, or the evaporating water.

Water would be added for what evaps, nitrate is nitrate. As long as tbe bio load is not huge then that plants can take care of it

Nitrites are not nitrates they are formed by the plants when they absorb the nitrates, and they cannot be removed by evaporation.

been a little bit sense i been on this site so i thought i make a update on this thread. almost been 3 months and had not done a single water change, just added water the evap. ammo is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 5-10. the ottos and shrimp are doing very well.

This type of tank will need a little tending. The plants need trimming. The tanks are open to allow the plants to take in CO2 from the air, but the roots must be emersed in the tank water. Open tanks need to be topped off regularly, due to evaporation, but don't require water changes. I have this type of tank. It's been running for a couple of years and the chemistry is stable. The fish breed regularly and there are aquatic plants growing too.

The key to this type of tank is choosing the right land plant, aerating the roots and having a good fish load to supply the plants with the right nutrients. Lighting is important too, but room light is sufficient.

B

Back
Top Bottom