selling fish need advice....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycfatcow

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am from NYC..This guy wants to buy a royal gamma basslet-hippo tang - and spotted hwak from me for 60 bucks totall....you think thats too cheap..hes trying to talk me down 7 dollars from the original 67...

i kno thats waht im thinkg too good of a deal...
am i losing out...

No, I meant it sounded fair. You can't expect to get full price for them. I think 60 for the three fish is a fair price.

hmmm i think i jsut wrecked the deal.... i asked for 64 and he said no.... what a cheap guy would gimme an extra 4 bucks... the hippos like 4 inchs!! they got for like 60 in nyc im only selling for 40..

i have to disagree with the , "you can't expect to get full price for them", its not like because someone else owned them they are half as good or worn out, that would be like saying a dog breeder cant expect full price for their dogs since they owned them before they sell it, same thing basically, if the fish is in good health then you can try to sell it for what its worth, the full price of a fish is usually doubled when on sale in a fish store and a lot of those stores take lousy care of their fish and people still pay for them.

i would rather pay a few dollars mroe or even what i would pay at a fish store to get a fish from someone if its healthy and been in their tank for a while and all that, more likely to survive then one from a store like petco or soemthing, dont go low just because he doesnt want to pay, let him go buy them from a store, hell prolyl end up paying more then 64 dollars for the fish and they might not be as healthy... just a thought

so you think a preowned animal is lessened in value? way to look at a life... thats like saying an adopted kid is half as good...

No, that is not what I said. Lets not make this personal. I gave my opinion. you gave yours, we both have our reasons so move on.

I don't think she is saying that all. Stuff you buy from the hobbiest is normally cheaper than what you can buy it from the LFS. The mark up is not there. I sell frags a lot cheaper than the LFS. When I trade stuff in, they mark it up at least 50%.

Does not make the animal any less special, that is just how some people price there items. If you can get retail price than so be it. A healthy, established animal from a hobbiest would be more worthwhile than a new one from the LFS IMO but sometimes you don't really know that for sure.

Some people want top dollar for everything and some people want a deal on everthing. Those people don't normally buy from each other ;)

ahhh guys dont argue!!! i know you are all good people!! you all help me with my tank and stufff. its ok im not sellin it to that guy anyways!!! dont ARGUE please!! lets just all be friends!

One way to look at it is like this when buying things from reefers, they need to get ride of the animal for what ever reason, moving, too big what ever... So I know they want it out of the tank fast, thats were we come in the guy/gal knowing that this fish needs to go sometimes in a hurry so the seller has to bend to make a sale. Depending on how bad they want to get rid of the animal depends on how much they will bend.
So the seller says 50 and I come back 35 hoping to get it for 40 in the end.
So yes I expect people selling things out of there tanks to be cheaper the the LFS, not because there used but because they need to get rid of them.
You may not like it or agree with it, but thats the way it is..
I know I got over 4000 into my tank and I knwo that there is no way in hell I would ever get that selling it off..

ok so we all good...i dont kno i was just trying to be nice in a way too....get fish for really cheap and sell it for a decent price...which is a lot cheaper then the lfs....i guess its kinda backfiring...people are assuming that i NEED to get rid of them so they are bargaing..i think imma about to just keep everything i have even though my tank is over crowded!!!

so you think a preowned animal is lessened in value? way to look at a life... thats like saying an adopted kid is half as good...
Not sure I understand you logic here...apples and oranges :roll: . Buying items privately allows for the seller to make some money and the buyer to save some money. When you pay "full price" in the store you are paying for more then the animal (or whatever else), you are paying for the over-head as well. This is generally not the case when buying privately. I would expect a discount over the shelf price of the animal. That being said...I think $64 is a great deal for the three fish.

haha you know whats funny i said to the guy...67 is too much of a bargain...how bout i meet you in the middle and sell it to you for 64 for all...hes like no thank you...and click....got me so pissed for some reason.....i didnt ask any LFS yet but i would rather hoook some body up who would appreciate the fish....

Back
Top Bottom