Semi-Rookie needs help with 50 Gal set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will preface that I say Semi-Rookie since my son's 10 Gal salt has been running great for 14 months

So now my daughter wants salt too.. I said, I will free up my 50 Gal and convert it to a Saltwater tank.

So now come the questions..

my 50 has a Fluval 405, can I use it? should I use it? what is recommended?

I have a small power head, but will get another too
Protein Skimmer?

I know I need about 60 lbs of Live Sand, 50-60 Lbs of Live Rock (OR?)

I have a heater, I have a light that will work for now..

Tank will be FOWLR.. maybe a Starfish or 2.. some Shrimp, and typical clean up crew stuff

No clue on fish yet..

Still pricing it all out on what I need. but needed to figure out the filtration

FYI my son's 10 Gal has a Aquaclear 20 HOB.

So what is the path I need to look at for filtration on the 50?

I'm no expert, but ditch the fluval and go with a sump. Canisters house nitrates. With a sump you can increase volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

any more details on equipment for sump?

I cannot drill the tank I have and was not planning on a new tank. the current tank I have is 50gal and the bottom of the tank is tempered according to their website

The back can be drilled if you so choose that route. Check out the articles section in this forum. Very useful info!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I found the articles but did not find much about new tank set-ups or suggested filtration

my 50 gal is 30Lx18Wx21D maybe that is too short, but that is the tank I was planning on using..

the sump kits at the LFS are close to $400 which will price me right out of doing this

I am also looking for DIY articles for a sump, which in the Sump article I found mentioned something done by Kev, but no link

Back
Top Bottom