Serpae Tetra Mistake?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So... Did I make a mistake with getting these Serpaes..? This is the first time I have owned Serpaes, and I have done some research before purchase.. I know they can be boisterous and nippy, but was under the impression it would be kept among themselves if in a group larger than 6 (I have 8).

They just left QT this morning and were put in my 40G Breeder tank, with Ram's. They seem to be harassing the ram's, I am hoping that it will settle down, but am not sure... The rams are normally out and about all day long. But now they're back behind the plants hiding, and when they do come out and move towards an area that is occupied by the tetras, they will chase them back.

Suggestions? Should I wait it out, or what?

Well these Tetras will get to be equal or bigger than Rams,and are very boisterous. They will proably not physically harm them, but Rams are fragile and become stressed due to enviromwntal changes, including additions of new fish.

What size school is it? If it is between 6-8 you are at the bare minimum of species contained aggression. Depending on the other stock, i would make it 12. Or get rid of the Tetras.

Give it a week. Take note of any new physical damage done to fish. Then see what to do; add more or remove fish.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Well these Tetras will get to be equal or bigger than Rams,and are very boisterous. They will proably not physically harm them, but Rams are fragile and become stressed due to enviromwntal changes, including additions of new fish.

What size school is it? If it is between 6-8 you are at the bare minimum of species contained aggression. Depending on the other stock, i would make it 12. Or get rid of the Tetras.

Give it a week. Take note of any new physical damage done to fish. Then see what to do; add more or remove fish.

Well, the idea was to add another 8 Black Phantoms, I was told they will school with Serpaes and chase each other... So I was planning to have a larger stock.. Will adding the Phantoms help, or should I just increase the Serpae count?

I would just add more Serpae. You cant really count on different species schooling.

I would take them back. I never had serpae's behave like they should. Their fast and nip at all the others. I feel they are a bad fit with rams. Just my opinion off my experience with them.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would take them back. I never had serpae's behave like they should. Their fast and nip at all the others. I feel they are a bad fit with rams. Just my opinion off my experience with them.

Well, I probably wont take them back (since they have been in QT for awhile now). But I can just move them out to the 60G.

Well, I probably wont take them back (since they have been in QT for awhile now). But I can just move them out to the 60G.

That's even better. Glad you have an option.

I've got 16 or 17 (lost one or two) now and that seems to have settled them down. 8 or 10 was borderline low I found.

Seem hardy so far and doing ok mainly.

Serape tetra in small school = piranha wannabe's.

Well at least that was the case with me one time. They were fun to have in their own 20 gal tank.

I've got 16 or 17 (lost one or two) now and that seems to have settled them down. 8 or 10 was borderline low I found.

Seem hardy so far and doing ok mainly.

Yep seeing that, moved them to a larger tank w/ less sensitive fish.

Serape tetra in small school = piranha wannabe's.

Well at least that was the case with me one time. They were fun to have in their own 20 gal tank.

Yeah, I thought 8 was more than enough.. Boy was I wrong :)

Yep seeing that, moved them to a larger tank w/ less sensitive fish.

Yeah, I thought 8 was more than enough.. Boy was I wrong :)

Thanks for the info back - I was wondering myself if I had a bad lot :)

Now I find they kind of split off and do their own thing in little groups (or follow rosy barbs) and remerge back. Still chasing going on but seems more random.

Thanks for the info back - I was wondering myself if I had a bad lot :)

Now I find they kind of split off and do their own thing in little groups (or follow rosy barbs) and remerge back. Still chasing going on but seems more random.

Yeah mine was just constant, no one was allowed to go anywhere or do anything... They were supposed to contrast the plants in that tank, and add some upper level movement... But I will have to move on to some other schooling active fish for the planted tank.

Serpae are very cool fish, but I've read too many stories about schools of 10+ in medium-sized tanks nipping the snot out of other species. IMO, they're better for species-only tanks.

Could be good dithers for smaller SA/CA cichlids then? Seems like they need to get some butt-kicking turned back on themselves.

I had 3 serpae tetras that did just fine in my 29 for a while. I used to have schools of 6 but some mysterious disease came and wiped down an entire school of harlequin rasboras and the other schools of fish got wiped down to 2 or 3 fish. Those 3 fish did pretty well by themselves, until I took them to my lfs cuz I was not planning to get anymore of them for a proper school.

I wouldn't do Serpae with Rams or apistos. Maybe loaches instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom