Serpent Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swiftler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

So last week we ordered and added a few new members to our tank from Liveaquaria.com

We added a six line wrasse, a diamond watchman goby, a lawnmower blenny, an arrow crab, and a serpent star.

All the fish are happily swimming and stirring up the sand (Mr. Watchman) and the arrow has made his way around the entire tank.

My concern is that since adding the star last Friday (3/30) we haven’t seen him at all. I acclimated him, didn’t expose him to the air during transfer and when placed in the tank, he slid under one of the rocks. The next day, the goby tore up all the sand around that hole that he was in. Should we be concerned? Do I need to be worried about having a dead and decomposing star in the tank?

Thanks for all your insight.

It is in the behavior of these starfish to hide. They will be using their tentacles to feed themselves and expose themselves as little as possible.
I wouldn't be overly worried, but at some point you should be able to see some sight of life from it. It might be tomorrow, it might be a week from now...there are many creatures in our systems that are very good at making sure they aren't found. This can become extreme...I once had a marine beta vanish for months before showing itself again.

Usually you can spot it after lights out moving around as they guys are nocturnal. Like hank said they like to hide.

ive got a few of those in my tank and as the guys said they hide very well....mine are fairly unnoticeable until its feeding time and here the come !!!!! cool addition to your tank,..i wouldn't worry , they're in there somewhere

Thanks for the replies. I guess I’ll stop worrying and just keep looking in there at night to see if I can spot a tentacle.

Back
Top Bottom