Setting indoor tank for my outdoor pond fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tricalee69

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I decided in march I wanted to start building ponds. I started out with a 100 gallon preformed in March, got 2 Shubunkins,1 Koi and 3 goldfish all small. I wasn't sure if it was going to work out in the yard or not. I am pleased so far!! So I have been working on a 30" long x 14" wide x 5" deep area for the permanent pond. I got 5 butterfly Koi 1 1/2' also to add to the family. So I setup a 75 gallon tank to house them in for the next 6 months. Figured they would be fine with the rate of growth on the Koi. I currently have the 2 Shubunkins (now 5 inches),1 Koi (3 inch),5
(1 1/2 inch) Butterfly Koi in the planted tank. I just got the second tank to house the 5 butterfly Koi later on. The goldfish are staying outside through the winter months.
Now you know the background!
So onto the second tank I want to setup now to help the cycle along fishless. I read to take gravel from an established tank, ornaments, driftwood etc. I have a new filter coming today. Do I take one of the filters with good bacteria in it and place in the new hang on filter? I bought extra driftwood shale weighted pieces for this reason. I have been soaking to get rid of tannins for the last 2 weeks. (Just put in the 75 today)I can move those as well. I got 5 bags of new gravel for the 55 gallon. How do I establish good bacteria on that? I really don't want to throw extra gravel in do I? I have read here and other places to fill a new stocking with gravel and put in established tank. Is that the best route? I have put in 2 15 lbs bags of the (Flourite Red) for the planted tank under my gravel. So I really dont want to take too much from my big tank. I will be stocking them with non pond fish after the construction is completed. Although I have really taken a liking to the way cute Shubunkins!! If only they would be better tankmates than the 4 fish I have found so far in my research on them...So any help would be GREATLY appreciated as these are my first 2 tanks EVER!!
So I think that about wraps up the lengthy post!

Back
Top Bottom