setting new tank on base

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfy23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read about putting a thin sheet of insulation under tanks to help level and fill small differences between the tank and the stand. Is this a good idea?
Also, should my tank (125g rr) be sitting on a solid piece of plywood? Of course the bottom of the tank glass is a bit raised from the base trim, so right now the outer edge of it is all that is contacting the stand. Do I need to place plywood that is cut to support the bottom glass?
Thanks!

There was a thread a while back about this that I'd rather forget!... but if I can find it, I'll post a link.

But in a nutshell... do whatever the tank manufacturer recommends. In my opinion, if the tank is designed to sit on the frame, then that's how it should sit. If you support the glass you are asking for trouble and a broken tank.

Regarding insulation under the tank, well... I'll try and find the post.

Ugg... I found it: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/insulation-pad-or-not-104674.html

Last edited:
If your tank has a plastic trim on the top and bottom it is designed to sit on a solid flat surface. Adding foam under it is not a good idea. I speak from experience! Find out who made the tank and consult them before putting the tank on foam. My current 120g tank is sitting on a 1" thick slab of granite with nothing under it.

Back
Top Bottom