Setting up a 10 gal planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my first planted tank and I have lots of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance:)

Fish:
Betta
Pleco (coming soon)
And 5-6small schooling fish (coming soon) (im thinking zebra danios I've heard you can put them with bettas?)

Substrate:
Flourite v.s. eco-complete
How much would I need for a 10 gal tank(in lbs)?
How deep? I've heard 2inches yes or no?
Do I need a layer of gravel or sand over the other substrate?
If so gravel v.s. sand

How do you add macro nutrients and where can I get them?

I have an API freshwater master test kit what other kits do I need?

I plan on making a DIY CO2

Shoulf i use a t-5 or t-8 bulb for lighting on my 10 gallon tank and what kind of bulb should I use? I usually buy from Petsmart so if anyone had a name of a bulb from there that would be great!

Any plant tips I want my tank to look covered so what's best for carpet and foreground and then also some taller plants to fill out the background. I also plan on adding a small piece of driftwood:) I would also like to do a wall! Any plant suggestions and "how to's" on carpets and walls would be awesome. Along with any other information you may have

Thank you so much for looking :)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is my first planted tank and I have lots of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance:)

Fish:
Betta
Pleco (coming soon) (probably a bristle nose)
6 small schooling fish (coming soon) (im thinking neon tetras I've heard you can put them with bettas?)
Possibly an African dwarf frog

Substrate:
Flourite v.s. eco-complete
How much would I need for a 10 gal tank(in lbs)?
How deep? I've heard 2inches yes or no?
Do I need a layer of gravel or sand over the other substrate?
If so gravel v.s. sand

How do you add macro nutrients and where can I get them?

I have an API freshwater master test kit what other kits do I need?

I plan on making a DIY CO2

Shoulf i use a t-5 or t-8 bulb for lighting on my 10 gallon tank and what kind of bulb should I use? I usually buy from Petsmart so if anyone had a name of a bulb from there that would be great!

Any plant tips I want my tank to look covered so what's best for carpet and foreground and then also some taller plants to fill out the background. I also plan on adding a small piece of driftwood:) I would also like to do a wall! Any plant suggestions and "how to's" on carpets and walls would be awesome. Along with any other information you may have

Thank you so much for looking :)

Changed zebra danios to neon tetras and possibly adding an African dwarf frog

Ya dont get the danios. Get neon or cardinal tetras or even some rasboras. For lighting do a t5 but if you wanna spend a little bit more upfront and save some money over time id reccomend an led fixture. I really like finnex leds

Yea I realized the tank was way to small! Good to know about the lighting I think ill buy a t-5 bulb and save up for the light fixture. Thank you so much for the information!

Its not that the tanks too small but that danios like a lot of space to swim and they swim around really fast. They would stress out the betta. Id reccomend getting a couple otos to eat the algae

Oh I read that it could also stress out the danios bc they like a lot of room. And I've never heard of otos but ill look into them:)

Just remember this is only a 10g lol. The way your thinking you'll be overstocked and have to really keep an eye on your parameters.

As for your lighting and nutrient and substrate questions, its all dependant on what type of plants your after. Low light/easy care plants or higher light/harder care??

I would like to start out with easy care plants bc im new but im not sure what plants that would be but im doing my research when I have time lol
Do you think I would be over stalked? I've read quite a few articles and forums that suggested those in a 10gallon? I'm want to be very careful to make sure my fish are happy and healthy and not crowded.

I plan on adding everything slowly so if it does start to look crowded I dont have fish I cant put anywhere else. (I do have several other tanks available if that were to happen. I just prefer not to over stock in the first place)

I plan on adding everything slowly so if it does start to look crowded I dont have fish I cant put anywhere else. (I do have several other tanks available if that were to happen. I just prefer not to over stock in the first place)

Everyone has differing opinions on stocking. Aquadvisor.com is a good place to start when it comes to stocking.

Low light plants include java fern, anubias, java moss, anarcharis. Theres loads of others. Im not overly familiar with them as i have a high light tank

Ok thank you what light would I need for a high light tank?

Not 100% for your tank size tbh

LED's are good, some good options are...
BML very high output lights (i have one of these)
Finnex fuge ray
Current usa sat plus

Then theres T5 HO fixtures which are high powered flurouscents

You can also use cfl bulbs for your tank size i believe.

There is a member called Brian_nano. Search him out and pm him. Hes very good for info, especially on lighting

Thank you so much for your help!

Theres a start for you anyway. Do some research on light fixtures and decide what you want from your tank and how much time and money your willing to throw at it. Then substrate, ferts and plant recommendations can be made easier

e9etusab.jpg
6a2e4yve.jpg

Here's the hood I was planning on using so im really just looking for a bulb unless this hood won't work? I would like to avoid buying a whole fixture.

Fish:
Betta
Pleco (coming soon)
And 5-6small schooling fish (coming soon) (im thinking zebra danios I've heard you can put them with bettas?)

The betta and some small tetras would be fine. I'd rethink the pleco though unless it is a bristlenose. Common plecos get huge, and even a small one will grow rapidly and produce a ton of waste. I'd look at dwarf cories instead of the pleco. I'm setting up another 10 gallon tank and it will have a betta, 5-7 ember tetras and four dwarf cories. That puts me at about 80% stocking according to Aqadvisor. I'm also running two filters as well, an Aquaclear 20 and a double sponge eBay special.

I have read that dwarf cories work well but I've never seen them at my lfs but ill be sure to look/ask next time I get a chance to stop by:) if not im also considering RCS and I do have a larger tank I can move my BN too when he gets to large for the 10 gallon but Idk about the waste issue ill be sure to look into better options if dwarf cories are not one

Where are you at in IL? The Aquarium Adventure store in Bolingbrook has dwarf cories.....expensive but they have them. They are the only place I've seen around here that keeps them, none of the chain stores carry them.

Im located around moline I looked up Bolingbrook on google maps I'm about 2 1/2hours away sadly...

Back
Top Bottom