Setting up a ATO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dary421

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,...after much screwing around I finally got my Pro flex sump in operation but now I want to install an auto top off system to the tank but am unsure as to exactly where to install the float or sensor and what's the best or easiest unit to go with. Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated .

I can only speak for the JBJ brand/version that came with two floats. One was mounted in the sump/fuge to kick on when it got that low. The other float was installed in the water supply with a Maxijet 900 or so pump. It's purpose was to prevent the fresh water level from going below the pump level and burning it out.

Ok.,I assume that the float and or electric sensor will be located in your "return" section of your sump at your desired " low" water level and your make up water line will pump back your ro/ di water back into your " return" section or your overflow box,....?

From right to left I have my skimmer and out flow then I have the fuge and then the return pump and the ATO. The last section is where I have the tape line.

joy13 said:
From right to left I have my skimmer and out flow then I have the fuge and then the return pump and the ATO. The last section is where I have the tape line.

I think we're on the same line... Ok. Mine would be ( left to right ) ...section#1.. water enters from the aquarium into the sump and then,overflows into .... section#2... the refugium....spilling over to... Section#3.., which is where my return pump and protien skimmer live......so,...the float and or electric sensor should be in this section (#3).. at the "low water " level,.... Right??... Thank you,.... : )

You need to put the float/sensor in your return pump section as that is the section which drops with evaporation.Also you need to move your skimmer to the first section as it needs the water level to be stable at all times plus it will help eliminate any micro bubbles entering the dt

David S said:
You need to put the float/sensor in your return pump section as that is the section which drops with evaporation.Also you need to move your skimmer to the first section as it needs the water level to be stable at all times plus it will help eliminate any micro bubbles entering the dt
I've got system and mechanics understood, now I just have to implement it all into reality,...ATO unit on order,.thanks for the help everyone,..Dary

Which one ya gettin?

Will after much thought and forum and review visiting,..I decided to get the Tunze osmolator.....it's actually been hooked up for like a whole 20 minutes and no alarms, fires or floods yet,.....I guess its kinda like a gps,..there's a million different models but they all get you to the same place in the end ....What a wonderful and expensive hobby we've chosen to be in,....wouldn't trade it for the world.

Back
Top Bottom