Setting up a betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you get zeros on the two I'd add more food, wait, test for an ammonia reading. When you get one, wait test again in a day or two and see if the ammonia is 0. Then you know your tank is converting ammonia.

I'd test for nitrate, and nitrite tonight. If your nitrite is 0 and nitrate is up than your good.then you can test for ammonia and see what amount of water change you'll need to do.

When I did the tests today ammonia was the same 4ppm. Nitrite was a lot darker, like 2 to 5ppm. I thought I was supposed to see a drop in ammonia when the nitrites rise? Also if you are supposed to have the bacteria be able to go through the whole ammonia to nitrate process within 24 hours, how do I get the 4ppm concentration with fish food? Like how do I know how much to put?

You don't really need to add anything at this point. Just leave it. Your not seeing the ammonia go down yet because it's cycling now. It's over Half way. It will be cycled any day now. When your nitrite gets to 0 and your nitrate is redder then test ammonia.

I'd test tomorrow things happen over night. And another day closer to getting your Betta if it's cycled. Just say'n. Patience pays off sooner than you would think. It don't hurt to test daily. And it always help understand cycling more. Good luck. Can't wait to see your Betta. What color are you wanting. And what kind? Male or female? I'm excited for you. I love Betta's. Wish we couldn't males together. Can you imagine all the color in one tank. I'd love it! That's all I'd have.

I had a female betta that I rescued from one of those half gallon self cleaning betta tanks. But that was before I knew they needed a filter and heater and at least 2.5 gallons. Im looking at getting a halfmoon male betta. I think they are really gorgeous. I don't have a specific color in mind, when I go I will see then. When my tank is cycled I'm going to my LFS that I checked out prior to setting up my tank. I'm going to test on the 4 week mark, which is Wednesday the 7th.

I went with a marble/ koi. He's still changing his color. IMAG3456.jpg these colors are gorgeous. He's in a 3.5 gallon right now. But he'll be in a 5 or a 10gallon soon. Can't make up my mind yet. Cause I'm starting on planted tanks and I wanta plant the tank he's gonna be in. I have 2 other Betta's in a 10 gallon with a divider. I just need more tanks. Lol!

He's gorgeous. I am also going to have a planted tank with the 5.5 gallon. I wanted to have it cycled before adding plants though.

Plants will help with a cycle and will be ok during.
I had some topfin plant bulbs I got from a petsmart in the tank since the first day of cycling. 4 out of the 5 bulbs did not grow and started to rot I think. I took them out a few days ago and they smelled terrible! Only one started to grow and then died and then came back to life multiple times. I think it's an apongeton? Not sure if I spelled that correctly. It seems to have broken the zombie cycle and is growing faster and stronger than before. I'm not sure I am going to keep it because I am planning on getting other plants from my LFS soon.

Tested the water today. Ph 7.2, ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrite 2 to 5ppm and nitrate 5ppm. Should I add more fish food to bring the ammonia up while I am waiting for nitrites to come down? And thank you guys so much for helping me through this. :)

Tested the water today. Ph 7.2, ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrite 2 to 5ppm and nitrate 5ppm. Should I add more fish food to bring the ammonia up while I am waiting for nitrites to come down? And thank you guys so much for helping me through this. :)
I would

I still have .25ppm ammonia, 2 to 5ppm nitrite and 5ppm nitrate. The nitrite color has been a dark purple for a few days now, should I do a water change then test nitrite again? I feel like it's off the readable scale. For like 2 weeks straight I had a reading of 4ppm ammonia and I read that 1ppm ammonia converts to like 3ppm nitrite. Also I still have same 5ppm nitrates. Should I add more fish food for the first bacteria or wait a little? I feel like maybe my cycle is stalled? Do you think dosing more stability might help? Here are the tests from today, in order from ammonia to nitrate.

P_20180309_102510.jpg

I did a 30% Water change on Friday night. Then added more stability. The next test day is Monday. I will update test results then.

Back
Top Bottom