Setting up a new 135 gallon FW - Filtration with Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bucketbreath

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi - I'm setting up a 135 gallon, I've got 2 red-bellied piranhas waiting to move in...

anyways, I want to use SAND -- there's this Tahitian Moon Black Sand that looks really nice, but -- I'm worried about filtration. You guys/gals think I could still use a couple of big 802 Hagen AquaClear Powerheads with Quick Filters on them, and a big Hagen AquaClear 500 Power Filter? I think that might work if the intakes aren't too close to the bottom. But someone told me I'd need a canister filter for sand, what about that?

What filtration would you use in a 135 gallon piranha tank with sand?

Help! Thanks!

i think you are going to want something a little bigger than an aquaclear 500 on you tank because they are such messy eaters.

The sand won't be a problem...it's a little difficult to vacum though. You will have to position the PH's up high in the tank I think to keep the current from stirring up the sand. I wouldn't use the Aquaclear though. If I was going to use a HOB filter, I'd use 2 Emperor 400's. The biowheels will go a long way toward keeping the ammonia/nitrite under control as piranhas generate a lot of waste. To be honest though, you'll get better performance out of a couple of big canisters. Penn Plex has a new line of canisters out that are not too expensive and look great...might check into that before you buy.
Logan J

i had a rena XP3 on my 75 oscar tank and i really liked it. i broke the dang thing doing a water change when i droped it on the floor so now i have a Magnum 350 and i like it too. but wish i still had the rena

The Magnums are good too. The only thing they really lack, by themselves, is a good biological capacity. A set of bio wheels would remedy that though. Or you could run a canister and use a powerhead or two to run some bio wheels. The great advantage to the bio wheel is that you can change filter media as often as needed without significant impact on the bio filter. Just don't ever let them dry out. I really think you would be better served with a canister...two would be better. There just isn't anything HOB that has the capacity of a large canister.
Logan J

In regards to the Tahitian moon sand, I know some folks who use it. The only word of warning on it is to rinse, rinse, rinse, before you put it in the tank, supposedly very dusty stuff. I've seen it in some tanks, looks great. Filtration, listen to Logan.

Thanks!

Thanks alot for the advice!

I'm thinking I'm gonna go for a canister filter, maybe 2 eventually, and probably the two powerheads I already have in my other tank to run some biowheels.

I once used an Aqua-Clear 500 hang on, in the 72 gallon with sand for the Substrate, I would recomend using a good sand thats not too fine, The 500 sucked up alot of sand and the motor started to grind and it was a loud annoying mistake on our end. I would try finding something that will not stir up so easy. I love the look of the sand but it was worth going to a bigger sub, (gravel). plus we tossed the Filter into the trash.

Chris.

Back
Top Bottom