Setting up a new dwarf mbuna tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markot

Aquarium Advice Regular
Finally bought a new tank this week. It's a 125 litre (33 gallon). Tank dimensions are 81x36x50 cm (32x14x20 inches).
I will have two filters on this tank. Internal filter that came with the tank and is 600 lph and an external which is 800 lph. That's 11 times turnover per hour.
I have already precycled the cannister filter on another tank.
So I guess I should be able to add fish in a few days?
How many fish would you recommend? I plan to keep mbunas that grow up to 10cm (4 inch).
Is the rock formation OK or should I add more rocks?

With an already cycled filter, I would start adding fish making sure you check ammonia occasionally and dont over feed.
With the rocks... I would say make more cave like and hiding places for the fish. You can stack some of those rocks on top of each other making sure there are spaces big enough for fish to swim through.
For mbunas...you are at the bare minimum size tank and some might even say it's small. These fish are territorial and it could get nasty in there.
If you must go with mbunas which i love, stick with the smallest possible, you could probably start off with ten juveniles for that size tank and keep an eye on them.
There are smaller African cichlids from Lake Tanganyika that could be more suitable for that size tank.

I know the tank is on the minimum size, but I do plan to get smallest possible fish. Local fish store had quite a few malawi cichlids that grow 8-10 cm max.

How many fish at a time should I be adding?

I know the tank is on the minimum size, but I do plan to get smallest possible fish. Local fish store had quite a few malawi cichlids that grow 8-10 cm max.

How many fish at a time should I be adding?

How many fish to add, the way I would do it is not everyone's cup of tea, me personally... If I wanted a total of 10 fish, I would get them all at once knowing one of the filters is already cycled doing PWC on a daily basis for a few days. My reasoning for this is that every time you introduce a fish to the tank, you have a possibility of introducing diseases as well unless you quarantine the fish in a separate tank for a while.
Mbunas do well in groups, you might want to get 3 or 4 at a time, at the end of it all, it's your call.
Post pictures once you get the fish, good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

As someone posted above, they like caves rock formations. I just finished my tank today. Previous owner had a bunch of misc crap thrown together.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408852583.271064.jpg

I changed the rock formation. What do you think now?

Il like it better. It's a matter of personal taste, fish don't care if it looks good or not as long as it's functional for them. This gives them more places to hide.

As someone posted above, they like caves rock formations. I just finished my tank today. Previous owner had a bunch of misc crap thrown together.

View attachment 247817

I like this, is that slate? I've been using light weight rocks like lava or thin slate, I'm a bit worried about putting so much weight on a piece of glass :(

Tanks can actually take the weight. Just make sure you don't put a jagged edge against the bottom. Also make sure you push the rocks down in the sand. These guys love to redecorate sand and will cause rocks to shift

Look at the difference in my sand from my picture I posted earlier. They did this in about 4 hours. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408892972.666957.jpg

Thanks for replies guys. I did push the rocks in the sand. Rock formation seems quite strong.

I have another question. I know it's hard to see on the pictures, but is this enough water surface agitation to oxygenate the tank?

Thanks for replies guys. I did push the rocks in the sand. Rock formation seems quite strong.

I have another question. I know it's hard to see on the pictures, but is this enough water surface agitation to oxygenate the tank?

Looks fine tome. If you have a cycled filter, I think you're ready for some fish!

Bought the fish today. They're so active it's almost impossible to photograph them. They're all small about 5cm.

These are the fish that I got:
Cynotilapia Afra
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Labidochromis Hongi
Labidochromis Perlmutt
Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga
Pseudotropheus Socolofi

I was reading various forums and noticed many people use actinic blue and marine white for african cichlid aquariums.
So... I bought new lights. I'm not sure if I like it or not...

Looks very nice...and cichlids prefer lower lighting conditions. We, on the other hand, would prefer to see their beautiful colors more, so we make the tank bright. It's a bit of a conundrum. :)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom