Setting up a Shrimp Breeding Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been reading some articles, so I have the basics down, but I'd like to learn from the pros. I want to do a tank of neocaridina shrimp (likely cherries) and plants only. I'm hoping to get them to breed (for fun mostly, also I'd love to give a few to friends with tanks or possibly trade them in to my LFS.) I wanted to invest in some high grade shrimp, but I won't feel comfortable doing so until I known for sure my tank is safe for them and they will thrive.
I have a ten gallon tank with a sponge filter and I'm going to get an LED hood soon. I want to do live plants and a little driftwood for hardscape, possibly rocks. Plants I'm thinking of are easy, low light, such as java moss, java fern, etc.
I had some questions:
-What are other easy, low to medium light plants that grow well in a ten gallon?
-What substrate is best for a shrimp and plants only tank?
-Should I dose Excel? What about root tabs?
Please feel free to include any other tips/advice you have about setting up a shrimp breeding tank and getting them to successfully breed.
Thanks. :)

Sand substrate. Not too deep 1/4 of an inch. Get plants you don't have to bury. Java, Anubias, Buce, guppy grass, subwassertang and mosses. Attach the rhizome plants to wood or rock. Shrimp really like wood. Use a liquid fert. I suggest snails as well.

Set up the tank and let it stabilize for 3 months. Shrimp hate new tanks. And once they are there don't change stuff too much. I changed my substrate and lost all of them.

Okay, I'll give that a try! It might be a bit until I'm able to get it all set up, but I'll update this thread with progress. Thanks for the help. :)

Back
Top Bottom