Setting up a used 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themartins

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm Looking for some advice. We're purchasing a used 40 gallon set up. It comes with cherry barbs, zebra danios, and an X Lg. red tail black shark. We'll have about a 2 hour ride back home with the fish.

1st question: What is the best way to transport the fish - thinking of using a 5 gal bucket.

2nd question: What about cycling the tank that already has these fish?

I'm so excited! This will be the largest aquarium I've ever owned!:D

Thank you for the information.
I'm thinking I can get the fish into bags and float them in my 20 gallon while I get the 40 set up. I have some biological filter material that I can put in from my 20 gallon - that should help speed things up, right?

Yes, if you have an established tank, seeding the new tank's filter with your filter media will drastically speed up your cycle. Just keep an eye on your parameters and you should be just fine.

I wonder, is the tank your purchasing already sett up and established? Are you taking their whole setup? If so maybe it is already cycled for you and all you would need to do is keep the gravel wet.

themartins said:
Thank you for the information.
I'm thinking I can get the fish into bags and float them in my 20 gallon while I get the 40 set up. I have some biological filter material that I can put in from my 20 gallon - that should help speed things up, right?

I like using one gallon freezer bags : )
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Tracey, Yes, the tank is already set up and established. Great idea on keeping the gravel wet! Thank you for sharing.

I would be more worried about the filter media than your gravel, though keeping the gravel wet is a good idea too.

I'll plan on adding the biological filter material and keeping the gravel wet and double check things by testing the water chemistry to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom