Setting up ATO ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShooterRick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a RKL basic. I want to expand it with another PC4 module and SL1 module. I want to set up a ATO controlled by the SL1. Will one float switch work? My concern is I am going to my sons wedding and will be gone 9 days. I figure a 13 gal trash can will surfice for a resevour but I the float switch sticks 13 gal would fload my sump. Are float switches reliable or should I use 2 one for a back up to shut water off if a predetermined high water mark is reached? Advice?

PS. I have the feeding covered while I am gone.

I would go with 2 for peace of mind. They do fail, and have heard first hand reports of them failing.

AutoTopoff.com has some good prices on dual setup models.

I would go with 2 for peace of mind. They do fail, and have heard first hand reports of them failing.

AutoTopoff.com has some good prices on dual setup models.

I also found that if you use a RKL with PH probe and kalk water in your top off that you can fail safe by setting the PH limit and if the ATO continues to pump kalk the PH probe will tell the RKL to shut off the ATO. This is done independantly from the ATO switch and will override it.Hmmm

Yes that would also work... but would be a bit more expensive than just buying a second float switch if you don't already have an RKL or pH controller of some kind :)

Yes that would also work... but would be a bit more expensive than just buying a second float switch if you don't already have an RKL or pH controller of some kind :)

I have a RKL basic and would just need to add the SL1 module I believe. I was planning on upgrading the RKL with the SL1 and another PC4 module eventually anyway.

My ? is what saturation would I want the Kalk to be so the controller will top off but also shut off if PH raises too high. Will it be just trial and error or how do I figure that out?

Ah ok. That I cannot help you with, but I am sure someone here can :). I would imagine it would take some tweaking and trial and error, as uptake in each tank would be different.

Ah ok. That I cannot help you with, but I am sure someone here can :). I would imagine it would take some tweaking and trial and error, as uptake in each tank would be different.

I am thinking that if I use the PH probe as a fail safe I can not only kill 2 birds with one stone, PH controll and ATO but that these would provide 2 completely different style inputs for a fail safe and would be less likely to fail compared to 2 same style float switches. One is somewhat mechanical and the other is purely digital input. Does that make sense?

Yes, absolutely... I actually use 2 float switches, and they are both plugged into a pH controller as a 3rd fail safe for my ATO (since adding a bunch of FW top off to the system would lower the pH). :)

Yes, absolutely... I actually use 2 float switches, and they are both plugged into a pH controller as a 3rd fail safe for my ATO (since adding a bunch of FW top off to the system would lower the pH). :)

Ok so this is the plan I think. SL1 module with Ph probe upgrade. A Digital Aquatics float switch. A MiniJet 606 pump.

Run the float switch to the SL1 for ATO with Kalk. Program the PH probe to shut off the ATO if PH raises beyond 8.3 for fail safe overflow if float sticks. I usually top off about 1 gal every other day depending on conditions. A 10 gal ATO RO resevour should get me 7-9 days with ease I think. If the float sticks PH should raise with set up beyond 8.3 before my sump would overflow tripping the PH probe to override the float switch. Correct?

Also If I decide not to dose Kalk the probe could be set to overide in the event the PH drops below determined level accomplishing the same thing. Correct?

Upgraded RKL for ATO

I just ordered a SL1 module for my RKL basic. This module will allow me to controll up to 2 float switches as well as up to 2 probes at the same time. I purchased the PH probe as this will become a part of my ATO fail safe. I also was able to obtain a simple RKL programm from Digital Aquatics that will allow me to set a predetermined duration the ATO Pump will be allowed to run at any single ATO event. This allows me a third fail safe built into a simple single float ATO system.

This is how it will work: If the float switch sticks and I am dosing Kalk PH will raise above a determined level and shut off the ATO pump. If I am not dosing Kalk the addition of fresh water will cause PH to fall and at a predetermined level the ATO will shut off.

Secondly, If the ATO pump runs beyond a predetermined duration of time the ATO pump will shut off.

The variables I must figure out then are high and low PH allowed and the duration the pump will be allowed to run to insure complete filling of the sump but beyond that very long and the RKL will shut off the pump regardless of float, or ph levels. Seems reasonably redundant for safety.

Wow sounds like a great failsafe!

Thanks . If anyone has a ATO running through their RKL you can go to their support forum and copy the program. It is free and will add greater safety from overflow. I posted the program below if you have a RKL>

Mode …………………... Auto
Function ………………. Switch
………. Device ……….. 08:SWA ……… ; Change appropriately for your system’s full switch
………. On When ……. Open …………. ; Full switch Change to what is appropriate for your switch
………. Device ……….. None
………. Off When …… Open
Timer ……........…… 10
Default ………………… Off
Standby ……………….. - - - -
Mode …………………... 0000
Alarm ………………….. None
………. Mode …………. OFF

Timer 10 ………………………………… ; Leave everthing at default except for time on and time off

DOW …………………... SMTWTFS
Start …………………… 12:00:00AM
Time On ………………. 00:00:30 ……… ; Change time on as required by your system
Time Off ……………… 04:00:00 ……….; Change time off as required by your system
Repeat ………………… None
Random ………………. No
Oscillate ………………. No

I wanted as large RO sump for the ATO as reasonable. One of my goals was to minimize my maintanence. I found a 18 gal Sterilite storage tub with lid pretty cheap, 4.67$ locally. From my top off experience on my 72 gal tank I figure with 15 gal fill I should get 9-10 days plus before refill. Later I will put a ATO sump float in it for a low water alarm though my RKL. It sits neatly next to the tank in a corner and is partially hidden. Since this is in our living room the wife had to OK the look. LOL

Just caught this thread and I think you went about this the right way. :) I also had my ato set to turn off if the ph goes higher than 8.4 while i was running kalk. Luckily never had an issue though so I just figure it worked. lol

Glad you got it all squared away, the RKL is a great little device for peace of mind. :)

Just caught this thread and I think you went about this the right way. :) I also had my ato set to turn off if the ph goes higher than 8.4 while i was running kalk. Luckily never had an issue though so I just figure it worked. lol

Glad you got it all squared away, the RKL is a great little device for peace of mind. :)

Thanks Carey. I also just recently downloaded MyReef 2.0 for the RKL. Programming was much easier with it on my notebook. Also I wanted to make sure whoever has the RKL or RKE that besides the PH and float trip one can set up a time max to run the ATO pump if the other 2 fail. Redundancy when away is good piece of mind.

That I havent' done, set up a max timer. where in myreef would I find that do you remember?

Thanks!

That I havent' done, set up a max timer. where in myreef would I find that do you remember?

Thanks!

I posted the program above in this post. Just associate it with the correct PC4 channel as I understand it. Use MyReef 2.0 or the head unit to program.

Also is on the support forum under controllers / RKL, My post to Digital Aquatics , "Setting up ATO" Same program provided by DA. You will have to have MyReef connected to RKL for the PC4 modules to show up and then go to the channel the ATO pump is on and then to timers under that.

Ok, I think I got it. I use my netbook for the rkl so I will see if I can find it when I go in and play next time.

Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom