Setting up Fluval Roma 125l for FOLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam-1990

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm thinking of setting up a SW FOLR with a view to adding the odd coral as I become more experienced. I started on FW to learn all the basics with a view to going SW. The reason I've thinking of going SW now is that i've just moved and had to give all my fish away. So now i'm back at square 1. I've done research into the switch and would like to know if i've overlooked anything big? So I was thinking that the equipment i'd need is:

Tank (29g)
2 x powerbeads
Live rock (is a pound a gallon the correct ratio)?
Protein Skimmer
Heater
RO water unit
Test kits / salt etc
lighting
sand

My research has answered most of my questions but i've still got a few that I can't find answers to.

I would rather avoid drilling/doing major DIY to my Fluval Roma 125l (29g) to convert it if possible.

I was thinking that I could change out the tubes in the lid for some marine ones T5 i think they are? I know that LED's are best for coral but I understand that live rock/fish would be happy with tubes? I would obviously consider upgrading if I started to dabble in corals down the line.

I was also confused a little by the RO water. Does the RO unit need to be plumbed into one of my taps or can I get one that I just connect for water changes (I don't think my house mates would like the thing stuck on all the time! I assumed that RO water is a MUST for SW? What do people tend to do to solve there RO water needs? I can't really go to my LFS each time as I live in London and don't have a car so would need to hire a taxi each time!

As for protein skimmer, can I get away with an internal one, as the hang on the back ones require me to DIY my tank into a fit state, I saw that fluval do a internal skimmer that attaches onto the glass.

Could I use my sand that I've used in my freshwater (I can't remember what kind it is, just bog standard white sand) or do I need to get some coral sand / live sand or a mixture of old and new?

Sorry if this is abit haphazard as I wrote it out once and my internet died and lost my first attempt so I might of forgotten to mention somethings.

Any pointers would be amazing!

My plan is to have a cleaning crew with 2 clowns.

Back
Top Bottom