Setting up fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacoeater

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I finally put together a 10g fry tank that I had parts laying around for, been using a floating breeding trap for a while. The fry tank consist of an AquaClear 20 with a Filter Max 3 attached to the intake along with a Aqueon 50 watt heater.
The AC20 has two sponges plus the Bio-Max that it comes with, sponges and Bio-Max have been running for a few months in my established tank so they are ready to be transferred over to the fry tank.
My question is, how do you guys keep the fry tank going when not in use? Do you still do water changes? Will the BB survive without waste or fish in it? Should I just continue to hold the media in my established tank till needed? Thanks for any tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You are correct to question this.. the BB will indeed die without any ammonia in the water. I'd say the easiest way is to move the AC20 to the main tank if there are no fry and drain the fry tank. When you are ready to raise fry, fill the fry tank with water from the main tank and move the AC20 over.

I'm assuming that you have a larger main tank, 40G or bigger? This way the filling of the fry tank is the same as a normal water change to it. Perhaps even just fill it 50% from the main tank and 50% fresh. The reason is to give the BB something to process until the fry start making waste.

Thank you. Great advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What a fry tank I am new to this

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You are correct to question this.. the BB will indeed die without any ammonia in the water. I'd say the easiest way is to move the AC20 to the main tank if there are no fry and drain the fry tank. When you are ready to raise fry, fill the fry tank with water from the main tank and move the AC20 over.

I'm assuming that you have a larger main tank, 40G or bigger? This way the filling of the fry tank is the same as a normal water change to it. Perhaps even just fill it 50% from the main tank and 50% fresh. The reason is to give the BB something to process until the fry start making waste.

Absolutely correct !!! Only thing I would add to this is when filling the fry tank with the 50% new water is ensuring it's close in temp as the tank and to treat with conditioner for total tank volume. Just as you would with a regular WC.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

What a fry tank I am new to this

A separate tank for raising fry. No parents, other fish. Usually a bare bottom with or without hiding spots depending on the type of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Thank I Don't have one

Back
Top Bottom