Setting up Quarantine Tank (Also, bog wood!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

withoutatable

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there!

I've got a 120L freshwater aquarium that's currently housing 6 guppies and 9 cardinal tetras. In a couple of weeks I'm going to get a few more fish friends, and am thinking of setting up a quarantine tank to pop new fellas in, as well as having it as a hospital tank.

Couple of questions: What should I have in it? I am going to be using a 40L (https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/love-fish-panorama-tank-40-litre-(in-store)) that has a heater, filter and lights. I'm going to pop some gravel in the bottom and have a plant in to give the oxygen a bit of activity.

Should I have anything else in? Will the surface disruption be enough to support CO2 and O2 exchange without any air bars?

On a side note, got a couple of pieces of bog wood soaking for my main tank. It's been three days...any tips to speed it up?!

Hi there!

I've got a 120L freshwater aquarium that's currently housing 6 guppies and 9 cardinal tetras. In a couple of weeks I'm going to get a few more fish friends, and am thinking of setting up a quarantine tank to pop new fellas in, as well as having it as a hospital tank.

Couple of questions: What should I have in it? I am going to be using a 40L (https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/love-fish-panorama-tank-40-litre-(in-store)) that has a heater, filter and lights. I'm going to pop some gravel in the bottom and have a plant in to give the oxygen a bit of activity.

Should I have anything else in? Will the surface disruption be enough to support CO2 and O2 exchange without any air bars?

On a side note, got a couple of pieces of bog wood soaking for my main tank. It's been three days...any tips to speed it up?!

You can weight the wood down with a stone. Some people will boil it to speed things along. Screwing a piece of slate with a stainless steel long screw can be effective, though then you have to have the wood exactly in the same position and doesn't allow for changing your mind easily.

Check out the article in my link in my signature for getting started with a new tank. The biggest issue is getting the beneficial bacteria colony established and thriving for your new fish friends.

It is explained.

You should have a filter pulling water through it and dropping water back into the tank. This will help in aeration.

:welcome:

Back
Top Bottom