setting up rock structures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gohabs9

Aquarium Advice Regular
going to be setting up a 75 gallon for africans, havent decided what yet, but i wanna set up some of those mazing rock piles some of you have, how can i set these up?"

Buy a LOT of rock and start stacking. :) There really isn't anything too difficult about it. I have small block filler rocks that give a "hut" appearence. Just make sure it is sturdy and won't fall. I do recommend putting egg crate in the bottom of the tank under the substrate. It'll help in those situations where the Africans dig so far down that glass is exposed.

Slate or shale is a good material for building caves. Relatively thin and flat, you can make multiple layers of caves by using other types of rock between the larger slabs. Limestone is also good for African cichlid tanks, because it helps to buffer the pH and hardness of the water. Whatever you use though, just make sure the structure is stable.

Texas Holey Rock is another good one. If you don't know what this rock looks like, think swiss cheese.

Does anyone know where you can get slate from as I am presently designing an aquarium for Cichlids. Can you glue the slate together to stop it falling over, if so what should you use?

You should be able to buy slate at a garden center. Many LFSs also sell it, but it will be much cheaper at a garden center. Scrub it well with hot water before you put it in your tank. You can certainly glue the rocks together if it makes you feel more comfortable, just use aquarium silicone and be sure to let it cure for 48 hours before you put the caves in your tank. Also, remember to not silicone so many rocks together that you can't move the caves later to clean under them.

when you buy rock, do not buy it from your lfs, instead find a local rock or pond store, my lfs wanted $1.50 a lb for lava rock, went down to my local rock distributer place, $0.08 per lb, better stuff too.

I live in the south where lime rock is cheap (free) and plentiful... this works fairly well for africans since they don't mind the buffering number it does on the water chemistry (makes it "hard")... I don't know where you live, but any landscape nursery would be glad to give you the bits that are not large enough for a landscape but perfect for an aquarium.

I second the warning about making sure it is sturdy. I just read a story of a guys puffer from another forum who got seriously injured (grousomely injured yet lived) because a rock cave fell aparat on him.

Hi

I am in the process of setting up a tank for Cichlids, I read about "small block filler and egg crates2 to help with the scructure of the rocks what are these and how do they help with buiding it.

What sort of rocks are suitable and it it a good idea to mix different kinds together. Is there any rocks that should be avoided.

Egg crate is a type of suspended ceiling panel, basically a 4'x8' grid of ~1" squares. It's commonly available at Lowe's or Home Depot. A piece cut down to fit the bottom on a tank helps distribute weight from large rocks more evenly. It's also useful for UG filters, to prevent fish (cichlids) from exposing the filter plate by digging up the gravel.
As for rocks, limestone is helpful for buffering the pH and hardness. Shale and/or slate is handy for building larger caves, since it's relatively thin and flat.

Back
Top Bottom