Setup Question: Goldfish or Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hope it's okay, but I'm going to post this in 2 areas to get the attention of 2 different audiences.

I am helping my sister set up her first aquarium, probably between 55 and 65 gallons. She has never kept fish before and doesn't want to spend a ton of money on unnecessary maintenance (ie planted tank).

So, I thought either a lake Malawi cichlids tank or a goldfish tank, neither of which have I kept. Which of these 2 would you think are best for the beginner aquarist?

Can I plump for option 3: a South American tank? I'm only new to cichlids myself, but they are fascinating!
I love my tropical community tanks too, but I couldn't go back to goldfish. For me, the size of the tank they require, and the amount of maintenance it needs- I get more enjoyment from my cichlids. I think in order to happily put in all the time and effort to keep your tank and fish healthy, you have to really enjoy those fish. It's a very personal choice.

Definetly easier to take care of cichlids than goldfish in my opinion if you have all the right equipment

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your sister could have one fancy goldfish in a 55 gallon tank. (The rule of thumb is 55 gallons per fancy goldfish, 100 gallons per single-tail)I don't know anything about cichlids but I'm going to guess she might want a more "interesting" tank. Don't get me wrong, I have goldfish and I love them dearly. But most people prefer to have more than one fish in a huge tank. That said, some people put snails and white cloud minnows in with their goldies and that adds variety to the tank. I would just advise that these be very large as if they're smaller than the goldfish, they'll get eaten.
Goldfish need a lot of filtration as they produce a great deal of waste. Ten times the tank volume is the recommended amount. So your 55 would require 550 GPH, your 65 would need 650. Hope some of that helps you make whatever decision is best for both of you. :)

Back
Top Bottom