Several males, one female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KindofaBigTiel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My goldfish (comets) have recently reached the age where I've started to be able to sex them reliably, and right now I believe I have a single female and four males. Currently she is the only one of the five showing an "outie" vent and only one male is showing breeding stars. Yesterday I caught the male showing breeding stars chasing her around the tank, did some research, and found that he was mostly likely trying to get her to drop her eggs. They appear to be getting along now, but I know how fish are and I know goldfish hide signs of stress and illness.
I wanted to ask since these are my first goldfish:
Will the number of males stress her out? Should I look into rehoming her?
If I do rehome her, will the boys be alright in a bachelor school?
Is there an ideal ratio of males to females I should be aiming for?

Thanks for the article.
I'm not hoping to breed. They're all pet store comets so I doubt their offspring would be healthy.

It would seem that if they are getting along alright I wouldn't worry, but to make sure they have a large turn over for filtration (10x or more per hour for the size of appropriate tank is recommended along with 20G per fish) and good maintenance and water changes with a big tank.

If the female did drop her eggs the fish might have eaten them.

Back
Top Bottom