Severe pop eye blue dwarf gourami female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choccybiccy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407277114.824454.jpg she has been attacked after laying eggs in her male partners bubble nest, I have put her into my guppy fry tank - water is perfect but I added melafix for 5 days then the last 2 days added a broad spectrum tablet that treats bacterial infections but she is eating and swimming about ok, but obviously blind now in this eye, what will happen to her? Can her eye heal up, is it possible for her to survive this? It's so nasty looking - eye id definitely dead. In uk so I can't buy antibiotics in a pet shop!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Goodness, can't say I've ever seen that.. I'm sorry..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407277596.329190.jpg trying to get a good picture of it but she's still quite an active girl! I have about 10 of her fry in another tank so she has really suffered to give her lovely eggs to Mr Grumpy who beat her senseless afterwards!!

Salt dip to sterilize the wound?

Never tried that? How much salt and can I use normal sea salt?

You'd have to Google the specifics, maybe wait for someone else to chime in, like I said I've got no real experience with this ailment.

Last edited:
I remember when I was little my stepdad had two carps in a tank and one ate the other eyes but she still lived for years ( not much help but hope makes u feel better )

Ok - thankyou - it's a tough one because I've done a few google searches but not found any real answer. All I know is that this was caused by injury as I saw the male attack her he was pretty vicious!

I agree with thw salt bath to sterlize the wound... but just think about how much that would hurt... if it isnt geeting better or gets worse I would salt dip her. But I would watch and see if she gets better or the swelling goes down. If it does I would just watch it and hope for the best...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it makes you feel better I had a neon who was attacked and his eye was eaten by someone else. He seemed healthy and fine and lived quite a long time

Back
Top Bottom