Severums and blood parrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willeyeam313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My female green severum is constantly picking on my female blood parrot. I had to build a special cave for her to hide in and the Severum just sits and waits for her to come out then attacks. It's a 125 gallon tank with other Severums and its getting old fast cause I love my parrot and I want them to live peacefully. I know these cichlids can be aggressive ( hell they're big *** cichlids) but this is relentless and is stressing me out. Any advice? I've adjusted the ph so they aren't as horny trying to breed and compete for breeding space but no help so far. The male green severum (the females partner) is even trying to help the parrot but still not much luck

My female green severum is constantly picking on my female blood parrot. I had to build a special cave for her to hide in and the Severum just sits and waits for her to come out then attacks. It's a 125 gallon tank with other Severums and its getting old fast cause I love my parrot and I want them to live peacefully. I know these cichlids can be aggressive ( hell they're big *** cichlids) but this is relentless and is stressing me out. Any advice? I've adjusted the ph so they aren't as horny trying to breed and compete for breeding space but no help so far. The male green severum (the females partner) is even trying to help the parrot but still not much luck

Severum are awesome fish and IMO should be the focus of the tank. The blood parrot is a mutant hybrid that also, IMO, should be phased out of the hobby completely. Maybe the severum see the blood parrot as a waste I tank space and want it gone so they can do their thing. When spawning, fish will often cull the weak or deformed fry as to not pass on abnormalities. Just saying.

True true... I'll consider my options of moving the parrot if it doesn't calm down. Thanks for the advice =)

Haha too true, I just love this parrot. As screwed up as they may be, she has great personality and is a great specimen of a blood parrot.

Haha too true, I just love this parrot. As screwed up as they may be, she has great personality and is a great specimen of a blood parrot.

To each their own. I just can't stand them but that's just one man's opinion. To me, no blood parrot is a great specimen. Do you have another tank to move it to?

Possibly but a very large Jack Dempsey and convict cichlid reside in that tank and she would get destroyed so fast it would be terrifying. I'll do what I have to and it seems I may have to part ways with my beloved parrot lol maybe I can find a good friend with some tank space to spare. Hell, I work at a reef/fish shop, I'm sure I can find someone to give her a good home and a less stressful life.

Possibly but a very large Jack Dempsey and convict cichlid reside in that tank and she would get destroyed so fast it would be terrifying. I'll do what I have to and it seems I may have to part ways with my beloved parrot lol maybe I can find a good friend with some tank space to spare. Hell, I work at a reef/fish shop, I'm sure I can find someone to give her a good home and a less stressful life.

Good choice my friend.

Back
Top Bottom