Sexing bolivian rams- pictures!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ahhh! 7 Bolivian Rams in QT, and I have no idea what sexes they are.
Except for one obvious male. Pictures below.

I circled and "named" each fish, so that if you have an idea of what sex they are, please list their name and their sex in your reply post.

I know the basics of head shape/fin rays/coloration/fin elongation, but I don't have definitive conclusions for 6 out of 7 fish ;)

Ok, I'm going to give it a whirl based ONLY on research and not on actual knowledge ... I'm considering this a self-test and hopefully someone will chime in and let us know if I'm even close!

Dorrito, Waffles, Doodle and Kiki are female
Gus Gus and Dobby are male
No clue on the others!

I also thought Bubba is a male, since his fins are so elongated.

Gus Gus-male
Bubba-male
Dorothy-? but my guess is male?
Doodle-male
Nutella-female
Waffles-Female
Dorito-female

Thanks everyone for your input! I agree that Dorito and Waffles are definitely girls, and Gus Gus and Bubba are definitely boys.
Keep in mind there are only 7 rams, so some of the fish in the photos are repeated in other photos.

It's more confusing today. The rams have started forming territories, and now everyone is in a lip-locking fest. It's hard to tell who might be male, who might be female! They've colored up so nicely too.

Yay for Bolivians not dying in my liquid rock/ph 8.6 water! I'm not willing to try GBRs yet though ;)

Back
Top Bottom