Sexing bolivian rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20GL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone! My apologies for the double post. I just saw there was a cichlids thread. Duh.

I just acquired two Bolivian rams. They are already looking great and swimming all over the QT - even though they look a little frazzled by the transport. Can you please tell me if I got a female/male combo? Also, would I need to rehome one of them if they are the same sex? I am getting mixed answers searching the web. They will live in a 20 gallon long.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• image-3010448818.jpg
    image-3010448818.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 136
  • image-910570360.jpg
    image-910570360.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image-879978328.jpg
    image-879978328.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 136
Hey 20GL :) You have purchased blue rams (mikrogeophagus ramirezi) It appears you have a pair. The female has a pink hue on her belly.

I would agree a male and female blue mikrogeophagus ramirezi. Make sure you keep up with water changes they tend to be sensitive to nitrates and stress. Good luck!

Thank you! I will keep you posted. So far, they are both eating and seem happy ?

Unfortunately the pink belly isn't a sure fire way to tell anymore. Nor are the blue specks in the black spot, or the potential for a heightened dorsal fin. The only way to tell, unless they are wild caught, is to get a bunch of juveniles and let them pair off.

Unfortunately the pink belly isn't a sure fire way to tell anymore. Nor are the blue specks in the black spot, or the potential for a heightened dorsal fin. The only way to tell, unless they are wild caught, is to get a bunch of juveniles and let them pair off.

I wouldn't agree with that 100% I think sexing germans is quite easy. Not all indicators are synonymous though I do agree

I'm not trying to say that a pink belly on a blue ram doesn't at least show the potential. But in my experience with rams that cannot be used for a 100% accurate sexing.

I think that it's not one thing in particular now that let's you sex them but all of them together to be honest. One sign on its own is no guarantee, however several of them allows you to be fairly certain.

Oh My Gosh!!!! Eggs!!!! Eggs!!! I am so excited! Thanks for all your help :)))) you can't really see them in the picture because they are camouflaged by the rock pattern. But they are there. EXCITEMENT! Now what?

Attachments

• image-208318799.jpg
    image-208318799.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image-2042501654.jpg
    image-2042501654.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 86
20 minutes later, still more eggs!

Attachments

• image-2418347564.jpg
    image-2418347564.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 86
That is exciting! Do you have anything else in the tank. Corydoras will make a meal of them. If they are on their own, you may be successful letting the parents raise the fry. Otherwise, you could hatch them in a separate tank. Always nice when the parents raise them but sometimes they'll eat their own eggs. I would leave it to chance. Sometimes they need a few practice runs to get it right :)

Thanks Tandanus. I agree. I'm going to let "nature" take its course.

Just an update - eggs got eaten. My bet is on the cherry barbs. Will it stress the parents out if the barbs eat their eggs?

Just wondering if any 1 could help me sex my Bolivian rams I think I have 2 pairs but would like second opinion. Sorry for blurry image they move fast!! :)

Attachments

• image-2178819386.jpg
    image-2178819386.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom