Sexing Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonia

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got two bolivian rams, they are just about 2 inches each. At the LFS, one seemed to have longer darker front rays on "his" dorsal fin than the other, so both I and the LFS girl decided they could be a pair.
But now that they've been in my tank for a few days (10 gal. planted with three white cloud minnows), I find they both look very similar, though one seems to be slightly more dominant. They most often hang out in the same area, but once in a while one will nip at the other and push him away.
Should I just assume that I have a male and a female because they hang out together? If they keep generally tolerating each other well, should I even care if I have a pair? Are they usually happier if they have a partner? I guess I'm just wondering if I'll ever really know...
Thanks!

I have german blue rams and I have never figured out for sure that I have a male/female pair. One is definitely more intensely colored but that could just mean it is more dominant because sometimes I catch the lighter one with brighter colors. However they do "hang" together alot and seem to get along for the most part.

I guess the only way you or I will know for sure about our pairs is if they actually breed. :mrgreen:

I've kept 4 Bolivian rams (I'm now down to 2) and I have never yet been able to sex them. I thought my remaining 2 were male and female but they don't really seem to like each other, so maybe not. :roll: If they tolerate each other they should be fine, but watch out in case they start to do any damage to each other- I had to rehome one of mine once. I'm not really sure that 10 gallons is large enough for 2 Bolivians, mine are in a 29 gallon and each has claimed half the tank for its territory.

It's really hard to tell. Males usually have longer filaments on their fins.Also females have more red in their abdominals. Since they take about two years to fully mature, you will probably not know until after about a year or more.

Thanks for your help!
I guess as long as they don't hurt each other, I won't stress then... I was just looking at them and they seem to like each other more than they did yesterday... now it seems like they are always swimming together. They even rub on on each other as they swim by each other and they aren't nipping at each other at all... it doesn't seem like the way two males would act. I hope it lasts. It's funny though how they look almost identical.
They seem happy! I like them!

Good. It sounds like they like each other a lot better than mine do. :lol: Mine spend most of the day running each other out of their territories. :roll: They don't hurt each other, so I don't worry. Anyway, I know you will enjoy keeping these fish. They are really beautiful and they have so much personality, if you are like me they will quickly become some of your favorite fish! :D

Sonia said:
I was just looking at them and they seem to like each other more than they did yesterday...

Sorta reminds me of the Stevie Wonder song: "I love you more today than yesterday...but not as much as tomorrow...."

Sorry if this went a little off-topic.

Jchillin said:
Sonia said:
I was just looking at them and they seem to like each other more than they did yesterday...

Sorta reminds me of the Stevie Wonder song: "I love you more today than yesterday...but not as much as tomorrow...."

Sorry if this went a little off-topic.

Wow he sings too.

Back
Top Bottom