Sexing guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klr0311

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi someone please help I have around about 70 guppies about 3 weeks old could someone help with sexing them I know how to sex the adults but I just can't tell with the babies if anyone has any pictures of young guppies that would help please show me thanks Kirsty x:):)

Hi, it is very hard to tell for first couple of months until the colours and the gonopodium develop.

I agree with Aron. Sometimes, you can start to tell which gender a bit early by their behavior, but thats hard with so many babies. Thats also not fool-proof, I would just wait for gonopodium. My females are really well-colored, so I cannot rely on that while they are young.

What sort of behaviour differences have you noticed between the males and females very interested as also got 3 day old guppies and a mom that's due any day now :) x

Mine all seem to act more or less exactly the same, if anything maybe the males are slightly more boisterous.

You say you know the difference between adult male and female, do you go by the gonopodium or the size and colouration? IME only way to tell for sure is by the gonopodium, this goes for fry and adults alike as a lot of females can be fancy coloured and males can also be dull.

What sort of behaviour differences have you noticed between the males and females very interested as also got 3 day old guppies and a mom that's due any day now :) x
I should have clarified. My guppies go back in with he adults as soon as they are bigger than bite-sized. Before the gonopodium is evident, and before I can tell by the colors, I often catch my adult courting the tiny baby females, and the baby males I will start to see chasing the adult women around. It is easier for me to tell because I only have a few at a time. I just let the fry be born in the main tank and net out survivors as soon as I see them. Then put them back in when they won't get swallowed.

Ok when they are young if you look at their fin where the gonopodium should be sometimes you can see which will develop one. The fin may be pointier and/or have a thicker edge to it, like it is more opaque if you understand what I mean!?

Ok thanks I just dont want them all to get pregnant before they go to their new homes :) x

Back
Top Bottom