Sexing Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is anybody good at sexing rams? Can you tell if this is a male or female? I do have one female for sure as she has a pretty pink belly and her top fins are all the same length. This one seems to have a longer fin, but I'm not sure if it is a male or not. I will try to get better pictures if possible.
Thanks in advance.

img_313418_0_dd21ea39a9ae35305188057f3f5c6512.jpg

img_313418_1_2438444c570d14173ec915dff1d1c455.jpg

img_313418_2_939527bc5c43f5952e8134d6e710ac89.jpg

img_313418_3_f85291831cd1c6f3fb9b430581267ae4.jpg

It's a male, you can tell by the long spikey second ray on the dorsal fin and the lack of a red/pink patch on the stomach.

I've read only females have the pink stomach when they are ready to spawn and that the second dorsal really isn't a reliable gauge anymore because it is a desired trait that has been bred into most rams now. However, one rule I've read about that is consistently used are the metallic scales. If there are those metallic blue scales in the black dot, then it is supposed to be female. I'd almost guess it was a female from the pics, however I don't think you'll really know until he or she spawns.

*edit* btw, I asked this same question about a month or so ago. Here is the link, hth!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=37766&highlight=

Not to hijack the thread but is the v-shape tail a good indicator of a bolivian ram vs the flat tail of the above blue ram?

humpty

I'm still willing to bet that it's a male, the longer finnage and the coloration are more consistent with a male. If this one is about the same size or bigger than your female then you've almost definitely got a male.

I believe it is a male as well, the end of the dorsal fin comes to a point instead of rounded, like females. All signs point to male, the extended ray of the dorsal fin, the pointed end, the lack of pink belly, the longer fins and also the black spot on his body lacks the bright/noticable blue spots around it which is normally associated with the female.

Awesome!

I'm so glad he's a HE! :D

Thanks for your help all. I really appreciate it. Now it's time to cross my fingers and hope they pair up.

Back
Top Bottom