SG at 1.019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FriscoTX

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's a new tank with no life forms. I'm trying to get the SG to 1.023. The salt is a brick and difficult to measure. If I break off a piece and add it to the tank, how long till I can get an accurate measurement?

That is not the best way of doing things. Take a bucket of water out of the tank. Dissolve the salt into the water and after it is thoroughly dissolved, pour it back in the tank.

If you have salt that is in that condition, I would consider getting a new batch.

I agree with Hara. The best bet would be to premix your water and test salinity that way.

Is this for your 14 gal cube tank? I agree that dumping the block into the tank isn't the best way to go unless it's completely empty (no sand/rock). If it's just a bare glass/acrylic tank I'd add 1 cup and wait at least 4 hours to read the new sg level. Make sure you have a ph running to mix it up.

If it's not a new empty tank then I'd mix about 2 cups (as best as you can measure a brick) in 2 gal of water for at least 6 hours (with a ph) and top off your evaporated water with this solution till you get the sg you want. (usually you use fresh to top off since salt doesn't evaporate)

tecwzrd - yes, it's for my BC, and it is empty of all but sw at this point. I mainly needed to know how long to wait before I can get an accurate reading of sg for the sw

It depends on the salt brands. While not completely mixed 3-4 hours is usually long enough to get an accurate sg reading. I would also change out your salt. I only buy buckets so I've never had my salt solidify like that but I know it happens due to moisture exposure. You can buy clean 5 gal buckets from HD or Lowes for around $5 to store your salt in to keep it from happening.

I think the time would depend on the heat of the water and the movement.....

great advice, I premixed the salt with water from the tank and let it sit with an airstone. I found thought that my readings were about the same after 45 minutes or so. My sg reading is now right at 1.025 :D

Back
Top Bottom