Share~PLEASE! Filter "Media". What do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kdoutis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here lately I have 'Started' questioning my "Filter Media" choices! I have~up to now~ been using 'Marineland' or 'Tetra Bio-bags'.
The Cost and Availability has Become Frustrating!.!
I have started 'Looking' at Filter media: 'Blue-bonded' filter pads; Media bags(~for carbon, ammonia neutralizer (zeolite)& phosphate remover);Sera filter wool; 50/100-micron felt pads; & carbon pads (that have the carbon "fine-density pads with carbon 'infused' in").
I have, Now, 5 power filters. And, the cost of commercial "Pre-assembled" is becoming not only "Cost Prohibitive" (Not changing as much as I would like!) It's Such a Waste! & it "seems" when I "find" a "Solution" I Like/am comfortable with~it "Disappears"!! Plus, I Still! Have to 'Add' the Zeolite & Phosphate products~Seperately!! Ridiculous & Redundant!!
Please! Share: what you use~ & it's Pro's & Con's!!
Thank You!!
By the way: 75-gallon; 55-gallon; & 2/20-gallon tanks.

How often are you changing your media?

I would honestly just stuff them with bio rings and sponges maybe with alittle carbon every so often.

Most biomedia can be reused for a long time, im not going say indefinitely but at the very least a year, id use my sponges until theyd start to soften up or brake up when rinsing them, obviously not all at the same time.

It sounds silly but pillow filling works exactly the same way as filter floss does. Youd save alot of money here and out of medias, its one that i like to change regularly.

Seachem Matrix,filter floss&sponge filters...that's what I use on all my tanks,I only use carbon after medicating(been over 2 yrs since any occurrences of disease)... I religiously do my water changes(50%) every week..

In my filters, I use Sponges, and ceramic rings. I add filter floss (pillow stuffing from Walmart $6 i think) every so often, if it looks like i need it. I have used carbon, never seen a need for it(only to remove meds). I replace the ceramic rings every 6 months and the sponge every 6 months(not at the same time). I replace the floss after a month when I'm using it.

I go to the fabric section at places like walmart and buy a roll of polyfil cut it to size and for $5 i have plenty for all 5 tanks for atleast 6mths or longer depends on how big i cut it or how often i change it.. you can also buy a bigger roll i just get the cheapest one its smaller so i can store it in the stand

Sponges of varying densities can be bought cheaply online and cut to size (I get mine on eBay)
I'm using both ceramic rings and matrix. I prefer the matrix.
Not all polyester fibre is the same- I've bought some that is dense and clogs up quickly (great for polishing) and I've also had some that's is kind of water resistant- it's easier to rinse out, but doesn't catch the fine particles (I use that in my filter that has the pump on the bottom, so I can rinse out the muck easily without having to disturb all the bio media in the bottom of the filter)
I also like to use purigen, since I use a LOT of driftwood in my aquariums.

I use sponges and ceramic. Carbon is not needed unless you need to remove chemicals from the water (meds etc) filter floss is also a good idea. IMO ditch the ammonia remover and phosphate stuff waste of money.

Sponges and bio rings thats it. I clean sponges and swish bio rings in tank water once a month Clean filter housing and impeller in tank water every 3 to 4 months. I run 2 filters on every tank and alternate cleanings on media.

This is the 3rd thread about this in a week. Yall know we have a handy search function thats quite easy and very handy when wanting to know these questions?

This is the 3rd thread about this in a week. Yall know we have a handy search function thats quite easy and very handy when wanting to know these questions?

I was going to say something but im bored anyway.LOL

There is a search function yes but what if he couldnt find it or the threads, better we help him out anyway. Everyone likes to makes their own threads it makes the forum interesting and fun. Hes new to the forum and is looking for members to help him out and maybe wants specific answer to his situation.

There is a search function yes but what if he couldnt find it or the threads, better we help him out anyway. Everyone likes to makes their own threads it makes the forum interesting and fun. Hes new to the forum and is looking for members to help him out and maybe wants specific answer to his situation.

I wasnt grilling him I was saying for future reference

Youre right and im sorry if i came across bluntly. Jwh is right theres definitely lots good information in the archive too.

Youre right and im sorry if i came across bluntly. Jwh is right theres definitely lots good information in the archive too.

No its all good. No harm done. The search function is easy to use just type "filter media" and select "title only
img_2644148_0_5d59820392d0cc684409deb982579ac9.png
thats what came up

Back
Top Bottom