Shark tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angeleyes2325

Aquarium Advice Activist
Getting ready to have a VERY tank tank built in between my kitchen and living room at the moment I was thinking of making it into a shark tank but I need some good opinions on this first. What shark would be ok or any at all? Just trying to get lots of opinions before I go ahead. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How big of a tank are we talking? Sharks need hundreds of gallon sized tanks. Then, depending on the shark, on if there can be corners in the tank.

It will be rounded and we are thinking 300 to 400 gallon. I wouldn't know gear time would be ok if any? If we don't do the shark tank it will still be built just have to think of other cool stuff to put in it.

Bigger for more options if you can. I have heard of cat sharks being the only be ever heard of being kept, but there are of course more. A large skimmer to help keep the water clean would be of benefit, as sharks are pretty difficult to keep.

A cat shark would probably be fine in that size tank.

I really like the cat sharks they are beautiful. I have a kind of dumb question I guess but I have seen at my local store shark eggs what are in them? I didn't ask questions because I never though about getting one before.

Usually in shark eggs at my LFS are the Cat Sharks in there.

Having sold many different types of sharks in my career, I have to say that I am not really happy with many of the sharks I've sold being in fish tanks of any size. Any shark that gets to an appreciable amount of size really does not belong in a fish tank. ( IMO to be politically correct. )
With that being said, many of the cat sharks ( banded, Epaulette, spotted, etc) I've sold had long lives (to my knowledge) and are probably better suited to aquarium life as they are not really active swimmers and most only get to about 4 foot in length. The big thing is to make sure you have plenty of bottom space for them to swim when they want and hiding areas in the decor for them to hide in without getting scratched up. Soft sand should be the bottom substrate. Since there are a number of varieties and these sharks tend to not be territorial, a small collection is possible in that sized tank with the right filtration and decor.

As for the shark egg question, most often, the shark inside the egg is a banded cat shark however, we used to also get horn shark eggs which looked like a large drill bit which "unscrewed" a bit as the fetus grew and eventually popped out the top. It's an amazing thing to watch the embryo develop then hatch. We also used to run "guess the hatch date" contests for our customers for store gift certificates with just bragging rights for the employees who guessed right. :D

With the current population crisis of sharks world wide, serious thought should be placed into a proper set up for any shark you may get as every one that is taken from the seas and dies from our neglect makes that species one more specimen closer to extinction. ( Don;t mean to be a downer but shark populations of most species are in serious trouble. Keeping any shark in a tank should not be taken lightly. IMO)

Hope this helps.

Having sold many different types of sharks in my career, I have to say that I am not really happy with many of the sharks I've sold being in fish tanks of any size. Any shark that gets to an appreciable amount of size really does not belong in a fish tank. ( IMO to be politically correct. )
With that being said, many of the cat sharks ( banded, Epaulette, spotted, etc) I've sold had long lives (to my knowledge) and are probably better suited to aquarium life as they are not really active swimmers and most only get to about 4 foot in length. The big thing is to make sure you have plenty of bottom space for them to swim when they want and hiding areas in the decor for them to hide in without getting scratched up. Soft sand should be the bottom substrate. Since there are a number of varieties and these sharks tend to not be territorial, a small collection is possible in that sized tank with the right filtration and decor.

As for the shark egg question, most often, the shark inside the egg is a banded cat shark however, we used to also get horn shark eggs which looked like a large drill bit which "unscrewed" a bit as the fetus grew and eventually popped out the top. It's an amazing thing to watch the embryo develop then hatch. We also used to run "guess the hatch date" contests for our customers for store gift certificates with just bragging rights for the employees who guessed right. :D

With the current population crisis of sharks world wide, serious thought should be placed into a proper set up for any shark you may get as every one that is taken from the seas and dies from our neglect makes that species one more specimen closer to extinction. ( Don;t mean to be a downer but shark populations of most species are in serious trouble. Keeping any shark in a tank should not be taken lightly. IMO)

Hope this helps.

Couldn't have said it better. +1 again.

Are the sharks in question endangered or threatened?

I not then other shark populations that may be are irrelevant.

If cat sharks are not threatened then it really doesn't matter if whale sharks are.

I am in no way saying that the husbandry can be lax or the decision should be taken lightly.

Having worked with sharks in a public aquaria I can say are kind of boring. Especially ones that sit on the bottom all day :)

If you are going for the WOW factor maybe some larger eels and fish that are too smart/fast/big to get eaten.

Are the sharks in question endangered or threatened?

I not then other shark populations that may be are irrelevant.

If cat sharks are not threatened then it really doesn't matter if whale sharks are.

I am in no way saying that the husbandry can be lax or the decision should be taken lightly.

Having worked with sharks in a public aquaria I can say are kind of boring. Especially ones that sit on the bottom all day :)

If you are going for the WOW factor maybe some larger eels and fish that are too smart/fast/big to get eaten.

sorry to say but i don't think he want's another massive eel he already has one and maybe he could move that one into this show tank.(y):cool::dance:

I already have a beautiful eel but I do like your guys idea about rays. Maybe some big puffers I love those also. Just thought of sharks because they are different but I agree with the fact of these should not be kept in tanks but in the ocean :) however the eggs and the sharks that are already in stores at least they wouldn't be going to home that couldn't care for them.

I already have a beautiful eel but I do like your guys idea about rays. Maybe some big puffers I love those also. Just thought of sharks because they are different but I agree with the fact of these should not be kept in tanks but in the ocean :) however the eggs and the sharks that are already in stores at least they wouldn't be going to home that couldn't care for them.

Those eggs are the cat sharks eggs so if u would be interested in those thats ok i just wouldn't recommend ordering special reef sharks such as black tips or other large free swimming sharks. These are threatened species and no one wants these beautiful animals to be no more.:cool::fish1::fish2:

Agreed. I have friends that have nurse sharks in about 1000 gallons. It's still way too cramped for them and they are only 4' at this stage. Besides, they are boring IMO. For some folks it becomes a macho thing to have them, but they require a level of care and room most cannot afford.

Agreed. The novelty of having sharks which imitate the "jaws" behavior is where one needs to be most concerned. Most of these types of sharks are just not suited for the common aquarium. 300 or 400 gallons may seem big to our living rooms but to a 6' shark, it's a broom closet. As for benthic dwelling sharks like the nurse shark, that size tank may suit them for a very short amount of time so you need to know going in that you will either be investing in a really, really large set up or rehoming the animal to a better suited environment.
As for the current state of cat shark populations, I do not know if any are classified as endangered but if we continue to take them and not care for them properly so that we are constantly replacing them, that will eventually put them there. Whether they are endangered now or not is not the issue, caring for them properly is. ;)

That's all I was saying. (y)

I apply that logic to all the animals under my care. It's my responsibility to provide not just an adequate environment, but one that is as good as I can provide and if that's not excellent, I have no business owning the animal. Fish and corals seem more dispensable than other pets, but they shouldn't be.

Sharks why sharks they need a lot of space ... I would not have sharks in anything less than 4/5 thousand litres and that's pushing it .. Turn it towards the large reef size ... Have two different reefs and a space in the tank between them

Back
Top Bottom