Shipping fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
If anybody frequents the planted area, you may know that I'm converting my 75gal mbuna cichlid tank to a high light planted tank. Since in most cases the two don't get along so well, I'm going to be getting rid of my cichlids. They are all full grown, some of the males are close to 6". I imagine my LFS would be happy to give me $2 store credit for each and resell them for $30 a pop, but I'd like to get a little more money than that. Fish keeping doesn't seem to be popular in my area, we don't have any clubs or anything...so I was thinking of selling through aquabid.

I've done plenty of selling on ebay, but have never touched aquabid. How reliable/safe is the site? Also, how does one go about shipping a fish? I assume it has to be the fastest shipping method possible...which would cost a lot. Are buyers really willing to spend that kind of money on a single fish? Or would I be more likely to find a buyer if I sell several together?

Also, I suppose if anyone is interested themselves, I have Acei, kenyi, Yellow labs, and albino red zebras. All breed like crazy and all have been fed exclusively on NLS.

I have only ever received one order of fish shipped to me, so my experience is limited, but I will tell you what I know.

First, the fish should fast (no food) for at least two days prior to shipping. Then, double-bag them just like they might at a LFS, with the tiny rubber bands, filled tightly with air. Pack them nicely cushioned with styrofoam or some other shock-absorbing material, so they don't bounce around in the box. I had mine shipped 2-day fedex to me, and it worked fine. I don't know that I would want them to be in the box much longer than that, but I know I have heard of people who missed a shipment that was delivered to their work on a Friday, and the fish were still there, in perfect health on Monday.

I wish I had a tank to put those guys in... I would love to have a tank like that! :)

yeah, I do like the fish themselves...but I like my 30gal planted much better, and I need to get rid of a tank because my time for maintenance is limited. So yeah, keeping my big tank, moving the 30gal stuff into it, and maybe selling my 30gal stuff...or keeping it for later. hah

well, unfortunately those all seem to be based in northern indiana. I'm located basically within shouting distance of kentucky. It'd be a little out of the way. thanks though

To ship fish I highly recommend some Kordon Breather Bags. You fill them with water and no air. CO2 is able to leave the bags and Oxygen enter. This allows fish to be able to be in transit much longer safely.

interesting. I'll certainly look into getting some. I imagine if my angelfish keep breeding at this rate, and my first experience selling fish is a good one, I may make this a regular thing.

The least expensive way to buy them is directly from the manufacturer. Here is some detailed information on how they work and how to use them. I've used them for shipping with great results. It is important if you're using a vacuum sealer to seal them, to ensure that you get an extra good seal to prevent leakage during transit. For light bioloads like Shrimp I definately recommend double bagging to avoid leaks. Depending on the size of the fish you'll be shipping, you may want to do the same. It does reduce the breathability some, but in most instances this isn't a big issue.

Breather Bags are almost a must (IMO), as is fast shipping. Depending upon your location and your shipping to location, you may need to go with an insulated container containing a cooling pack...it doesn't matter how well you pack your fish if they are sitting for 4 hours in a FedEx truck in 110 degree Arizona heat. There are also these little tablet-type things (dang forget what they are called right now) that you can put in the bag that will absorb any ammonia excreted by the fish. Not sure if that is a necessity but it certainly couldn't hurt.

In the end, you really need to consider whether all of this is worth it. You need to invest money in the Breather Bags, the vacuum sealer, the right size boxes, appropriately cut styrofoam to pack all around, possibly these ammonia tabs, and possibly cooling packs. All of those are expenses you are going to be "eating," unless you pass them along to your buyers in which case shipping costs, which already are going to be high, will end up being even higher.

On top of that, you need to be prepared for the reality that, if the fish are DoA, you need to refund all the money paid by the buyer.

You also should ask yourself, given that a potential buyer is probably looking at $25 or more just in shipping fees (and more if you decide to pass along the cost of your shipping materials), plus whatever you are going to ask as the selling price for the auction itself...are your fish truly that valuable that a buyer would consider it worth it? I don't know the market price on ciclids well, but if indeed someone could go to a LFS and pay $30 for one of these, then it makes no sense for them to buy such a fish from you, even for $5, considering the cost of shipping is going to mean in the end they are spending about the same money for a much riskier proposition. Even fish that survive tend to be quite stressed out as a result of shipping, which makes them more susceptible to disease during those first weeks, right at the time they are suffering the additional stress of adjusting to a new tank. If you have no history on Aquabid, you can expect many potential buyers to not even look at your auctions as well. (Just like on ebay; buyers are always a bit wary of someone with zero feedback who is suddely selling stuff. The more expensive the "stuff," the more of an issue this is.)

Also, I'm not exactly sure why this is, but it seems to me that adult fish tend to not ship as well as juvies. I'm just imagining in my head the kind of banging around a 6" cichild is going to suffer in a box getting shipped...not a pretty sight.

Anyways, just some things to consider. If I was in your shoes, I might first try contacting the Indianapolis club and seeing if they could advertise to their members that you have a tankful of cichlids that you'd like to sell to one buyer...you may get a cichlid lover who is willing to take a Saturday and drive down to you and take the whole lot off your hands at once.

Back
Top Bottom