Shivering Mollies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackMollyJenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently I got a new Dalmatian Molly. She was fine the first few days, when I first put her in the tank her tank mates were
5 guppies
2 catfish (suckers)
1 loach
1 other Dalmatian Molly (who died of swim blatter disease a day ago)
1 silver Molly

Yesterday she started 'shivering', she will start to shiver and she would turn perpendicular to the water surface. I have no idea what's going on with her. Otherwise she is completely fine, she is eating and interacting with all the other fish.

My tank is established and the cycle is going. My chemistry is perfect. And when I bought my tank it was a completely new all glass aquarium.

What size is the tank? And do you happen to know what type of catfish you have? Did you quarantine the new fish before adding it to the main tank?

What size is the tank? And do you happen to know what type of catfish you have? Did you quarantine the new fish before adding it to the main tank?

The size of my tank is a 20 gallon tank

I have no idea what kind of catfish they are, they are about 3/4 inch long and they eat algae

I'm not sure what quarantine is but when I add a new fish to the main tank I put the bag in the water for 20-25 minutes and then add the new fish

Thanks for responding!

Just read thru your other thread and it sounds like your tank may not be fully cycled. It's likely that you have something out of whack. Can you please post your parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, as well as pH? Either way, I would do an immediate 50% water change. Fresh water does wonders for fish. Make sure you dechlorinate the new water before refilling the tank.

Quarantine is keeping new fish in a separate container for 4-6 weeks to make sure that it is healthy and doesn't have any diseases that could spread to your other fish.

Once we figure out what is going on with your Molly we can address the is of the catfish to make sure they are ones that won't outgrow your tank. You will also likely need to rehome that loach depending on what type it is.

The loach is a dojo loach (I'm 99.9% sure) and the catfish are not the ones that grow to two feet. I make sure all my fish are compatible every time I go to the pet store. I will try the water change although I did a 25% one two days ago

Loach and the catfish

image-4229848994.jpg

image-366354158.jpg

Sorry, I can't post links week from my phone so I'll have to come back with more info tomorrow when I'm on my computer. The important thing right now is doing a water change. You may well need to do 50% daily until the situation is resolved. The only way to know for sure that your cycle is complete and nitrates are at a healthy level for your fish is to check your parameters using a liquid test kit. Until you can get one you're best option is water changes.

Sorry, I can't post links week from my phone so I'll have to come back with more info tomorrow when I'm on my computer. The important thing right now is doing a water change. You may well need to do 50% daily until the situation is resolved. The only way to know for sure that your cycle is complete and nitrates are at a healthy level for your fish is to check your parameters using a liquid test kit. Until you can get one you're best option is water changes.

Thank You so much for helping!
I am positive that my cycle is finished and all my nitrates and nitrites are in the safe zone, I will try your daily recommended water changes, thanks again! :)

I'm really sorry! I don't own a testing kit... I usually go to the pet store on Fridays because on these other days I'm really busy... Plus the pet store that I go to is a while away... I'll try to test it there, then and I'll get back to you. Sorry again for the wait.

And I'm positive for you responding and because I haven't seen her shiver today.

Mollies sometimes do this when the water quality isn't to their liking. It could be she is just taking time to adjust to your pH and hardness if it is a lot different to that at the store where you got her

Back
Top Bottom