Shop List!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went into Petland around Town Center right before Xmas to possibly buy some frags, but they were infested with aiptasia. It was a shame because they had some nice frags, but none without the aiptasia on them. The Petland by Perimeter mall is where I have gotten all of my SW livestock so far. I like them, although most of the salespeople are not the most knowledgeable, but there's one guy there that knows everything - I make sure to talk to him.

Pet Showcase in Hiram, Ga. on 278 They seem to be pretty clueless, and salt water centric. Fairly small selection of fish. Prices on goods are about 30% above Petsmart. Offered to sell me their RO water to seed my new tank with beneficial bateria.

Petland in Dunwoody, GA. They have about the best selection of freshwater fish I've found, and have a good deal of salt water fish as well. Prices on goods are about average. On average, their tanks are well maintained, but about 1 out of 3 times they have a massive ich outbreak, and the next time I come in, they have new/different fish in most of the tanks. No warrenty on fish, but then I've not lost any I've bought from them.

Cappucino bay in Marietta on 120 is a great looking place, but it is all salt water. don't know mch about SW, so can't really comment too much.

Petsmart in Hiram, GA on 278 - about a typical petsmart. Decent selection, no SW. Rarely see the same employee twice. Told me discus are brackish and can be acclimated to saltwater.

Two words: Optimum Aquarium

This store is amazing, it has a massive selection of SW and Freshwater. This place puts every fish store i have been to in GA to shame. It is in Marietta on the corner of Sandy Plains Rd. and Shallowford Rd.

Just so you know, they receive stock on wednesdays so if you need a certain fish that is the day to go.

The prices are pretty good too, i picked up a nice plant for $2.99 (the had many different varieties of green and red plants in stock, both potted and stem plants), a Siamese Flying Fox for $2.99 and 2 Siamese Algae Eaters for $2.99 each.

Why can I not find an aquarium store in the Atlanta area that stocks 70 watt metal halide bulbs? I lost mine in a power outage and didn't know they weren't stocked locally. I bought two bulbs from a guy on ebay who hasn't contacted me in a week and now all my corals are dying. :(

Do you hear me, Optimum Aquarium? Do you hear me, Atlantis Aquarium, Aquarium Showcase, Cappuccino Bay and all the rest of you guys that sell sweet nano-reef setups and corals and not replacement lamps? Come on, now.

Does anyone know of a store that will take my excess livestock? i have platys that reproduce uncontrollably. I also have a Chinese Algae Eater that is a pain in the *** and i just want to get rid of b/c he spooks more fish to take the leap of death outta my tank.

TIA!!

Being new in TN I had to find a LFS that was worth my time. Here in Maryville we have Petsmart and Petland. Woop dee doo. Petsmart is ok for livestock. Prices are decent and if you can find healthy specimens they do fine. My peppered cories, oto and rubber lipped pleco came from them. My angel surprisingly came from Petland. However, back when I first got the tank set up, I bought a male swordtail from them and he gave my whole tank ich. Not surprisingly, the angels are housed in a completely separate system from the other fish. Everytime I go in there their fish have ich. Although the last time I went I didn't see any with it, but I haven't bought anything from them as their prices are outrageous. Thus began my search for another LFS. Google brought up several and I found one place called Aquarium. It's in Knoxville off of Papermill Dr. It's only 30 min from where I'm at so it's not a bad drive. Worth going. I don't think I've been to a place like this. All their plants were true aquatics. Huge selection of FW and SW fish. They even have brackish which I have not seen before in a LFS. After an extensive search of all the tanks (it will take you forever to look at everything) I did not see any sick fish. They quarantine all new fish for a week (I think, maybe longer) before they are offered for sale. Their prices to me seem fair. The only thing that I didn't like was that they sold those "glo light" danios.

Back
Top Bottom