Short or long light cycle for first 10 weeks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fungus

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's your advice on how long to set my light cycle?

I am now on week 9 of a new 10G reef setup. According to this helpful article,
Aquarium Set-up: Step-by-step Guide to Creating a Reef Aquarium
I cycled my tank with 8 hr light. Lots of hairy algae grew. Then I added a CUC as my first inhabitants at week 7. The article recommends 12 hr of light at this point.

A friend recommended starting at 4hr and increasing to 8 hr over a couple months. This was to allow coraline algae to outcompete less desirable algae.

What do you recommend?

I wouldn't go 12 hours at this point. Especially if you don't yet have any corals that require lots of light.

Personally I don't recommend any lighting during cycling, because it causes algae issues as you appear to have discovered.

I'd run a very limited amount of light, say 5-6 hours tops, until you get that algae under control. If you allow it to keep growing now, you'll never get rid of it and it'll be a constant struggle to deal with later on.

Thanks Neilan. The CUC mowed down the algae in 2 days. Now my rocks are clean and I'm actually wondering if they have enough to eat! But with the algae under control, would you suggest I change my light cycle?

Back
Top Bottom