Should/can I get a bamboo shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gallon iwagumi setup with RCS, amano, and a super tiger shrimp. I have seen bamboo shrimp at my local petco and was wondering if one would do good in my tank. I heard they need stuff in the water way to filter out and eat. I have copepods in the tank and there is a lot of free floating particles in the tank.

The tank:
img_2496956_0_f48f69ea9b40e70886958f17fe674252.jpg

In this pic you can see the particles in the water way (my params. are good and some of the particles are micro bubbles from my DIY co2 system). There is a rock in front of the filter outlet that the bamboo shrimp could stay and filter feed.
img_2496956_1_3fe00d02e51c0eb499af5d58f7c7825f.jpg

img_2496956_2_9e01434619c3d74c785d60f5511fa087.jpg

I dose excel daily and flourish twice a week. Would he get too big for the tank? Also do bamboo shrimps eat baby shrimps that they might catch in their filters?

I would say your tank seems like it'll support Bamboo Shrimp. They need an established filter ... figure at least 3months old .... where some of the microbes they feed off colonize. That's why you see them hanging out by a filters' output.

I would say your tank seems like it'll support Bamboo Shrimp. They need an established filter ... figure at least 3months old .... where some of the microbes they feed off colonize. That's why you see them hanging out by a filters' output.

Thanks for the quick response! My main worry is that he will be too big for my tank and not have enough room to be happy.

Thanks for the quick response! My main worry is that he will be too big for my tank and not have enough room to be happy.

I wouldn't worry too much about that ... a happy bamboo shrimp will actually NOT move much, if at all, once it's found a fanning spot.

I wouldn't worry too much about that ... a happy bamboo shrimp will actually NOT move much, if at all, once it's found a fanning spot.

My LFS has flower shrimp. Are those the same as bamboo shrimp?

My bamboo shrimp will only move to molt but they are super fun to watch as they catch things in their little fan hands. I placed a piece of driftwood in the current of my filter and that's where he has been for over three months now

Back
Top Bottom