Should I fill the tank with RO water or add saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, this is a question I need to ask. I am filling the 80 gal tank with water soon and need options.

Whats everyones option on filling the tank with RO/DI water first then adding saltmix, vs using a mixing tank to mix the RO/DI and salt together and then add it to the tank?

Remember I already have dry sand in the tank. Will the fact the sand is in the tank have any effect on the mixing of the salt mix? Will the water that is at the bottom of the sand bed stay fresh? Thats my worry that the bottom layers of sand will not get mixed properly and the SG will be lower than the top layers of sand.

Thats my worry that the bottom layers of sand will not get mixed properly and the SG will be lower than the top layers of sand.

That is fixed easily enough, simply stir the sand real well after the salt is done mixing. I prefer to mix in an external container and then add the S/W to the tank. I think the S/W mixes better and you don't have sand blowing around the tank, while your trying to get the salt that settled to the bottom to mix up. But I think realisticly it makes no difference. :wink:

It's much easier to fill the tank with RO water and then add the salt. A couple powerheads will mix it up. In the end it really makes no difference.

In the end it really makes no difference.

Did not really think it would but you never know what other peoples experience has been.

Thanks for the feedback

Back
Top Bottom